Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   So confused! "Narrowed down" to 7 Islands for Honeymoon... help? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/so-confused-narrowed-down-to-7-islands-for-honeymoon-help-870038/)

roxyD Dec 17th, 2010 09:50 AM

So confused! "Narrowed down" to 7 Islands for Honeymoon... help?

Hi, Ok, so i've read, read and read some more on all the islands. Here's what we've narrowed down to ... and I say that loosely.

Antigua
Barbados
Bermuda
Jamaica (Negril)
Puerto Rico
St Kitts
St Vincent

Priorities: gorgeous white/aqua beaches, oceanfront room, decent amount of activities & some nightlife, siteseeing.

Going in March from LAX, distance not an issue but we'd prefer soemthing easy to get to & travel around.

THANK YOU!

mykidsmom99 Dec 17th, 2010 10:04 AM

I can help narrow it down by saying I would not recommend Jamaica, PR or St Vincent.

Barbados was nice. Haven't been to St Kitts or Angigua. Going to Bermuda in June :)

Have you considered St. Lucia? Are you looking for an all-inclusive resort or just a hotel?

roxyD Dec 17th, 2010 10:17 AM

Thanks for the response. I've read very different info on St Lucia... i'm a little turned off by the black beaches.

Not sure about AI or just a resort. Whatever makes most sense... maybe AI since it'll be our first trip to the Caribbean. I actually just added St. John to the list too.

Thanks for your input!

JeanH Dec 17th, 2010 11:45 AM

Just some thoughts, I would worry about Bermuda being warm enough in March. It's really far north, like the Carolinas kind of north.

I'm not sure St. Kitts has the beautiful white sand that it sounds like you're looking for. Although we loved our stay there.

We were just at Negril last month. It was a great trip. We split between a small hotel on the beach and an even smaller property up on the Cliffs, overlooking the sea. I think it would be a great place for a honeymoon, but I wouldn't go all inclusive. Too much good, and very reasonably priced food.

txgirlinbda Dec 17th, 2010 11:57 AM

Bermuda in March is NOT honeymoon weather. (And a pain to get to and back from the west coast.)

Knowing Dec 17th, 2010 12:29 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! You have picked some truly wonderful places! There are some advanatges to an AI as you will know how much you are spending ahead of time - especially if you are paying for your own wedding or even some of it. Plus, there's something to be said for kicking back afterwards. With that in mind I am going to suggest one of each.

1. Imagine an ideal day on a Caribbean island with beautiful beaches and as much sightseeing and activites as you desire. Add wonderful food! You're in Barbados.

2. Your other scene involves beautiful beaches and staying active, but doing an AI. You have Jamaica. Or Antigua.

Cross Bermuda off the list as it is too cold in March. Do go another time though. It is worth the trip!

virginia Dec 17th, 2010 03:38 PM

hi roxy, i'm gonna recommend barbados. lovely beaches, lots to see/do, easy to get around, hotels & dining in all price ranges, and some decent nightlife in "the gap" < the town on the southwest coast. with no idea of your hotel budget it's impossible to suggest specific places (and once you pick an island ppl will help you pick restaurants too). it you're on a budget you might consider a condo style place which makes it cheaper to get breakfat/lunch/apps & cocktails. cooking may not sound romantic but cocktails on your own deck or patio is.
on of our regular fodorites lois swanson has been 25+ times & has an excellent site with tons of info: http://www.barbadostips.com/Barbados_Tips/Welcome.html

qwovadis Dec 18th, 2010 02:33 AM

Hi Roxy,

Congrats!

www.caneelbay.com St John beautiful safe island

wonderful beaches diving people yet still in the US

easy cheap to get to great HM hotel if budget is good.

www.magenspoint.com St. Thomas north shore Magens nice safe

if budget is challenged a bit used to won a condo there

www.secretsresorts.com nice couples only AIs in great places

www.bookit.com www.cheapcaribbean.com

for other excellent deals..

A lot of your islands beaches are not as good harder to get

to not as safe... www.travel.state.gov for consul advisories

for toher countries and www.insuremytrip.com wise.

www.spiritair.com cheap flights down via FLL saves me a tonne

Happy Planning,

Jimmie Dec 18th, 2010 06:32 AM

I would second the recommendation of Caneel Bay, which has about everything you are looking for but the nightlife options. Still, there are some decent restaurants in Cruz Bay and some entertainment there.

TPAYT Dec 18th, 2010 07:51 PM

Our pick would be either Grace Bay, Turks & Caicos or Anguilla, but from your list, I would choose Barbados.

Bermuda, too cold in March.
Antigua and Jamaica, IMO too dangerous unless you want to stay in your resort exclusivly.

St. Kitts and St. Vincent---Wow!---boring unless you want to stay again in your resort exclusively.

Puerto Rico----just doesn't have that gorgeous turquoise water that you expect in the Caribbean.

diann24 Dec 19th, 2010 06:27 AM

I think I will jump in on this--agree scratch Bermuda due to cold weather. Antigua has some of the most beautiful beaches (Dickisnon Bay) I have ever seen, it is breathtaking, a Sandals resort right there, but perhaps not much to do at nightime. Agree with others of PR, you do not mention turks and Caicos. It has some gorgeous waters and some nightlife and restaurants. Out of your choices I would choose Barbados. Lot of shopping and nightlife. St, Kitts has many restaurants more than any island but there is basically nothing else to do but--EAT. Very quiet. Jamaica might be an option but I have never been there so I cannot weigh in on that one. Congrats to you.

JeanH Dec 19th, 2010 09:27 AM

We were only on St. Kitts for four nights, but we found plenty to do. Hiked to the top of the volcano one day. Took a cab to Turtle Beach and spent one afternoon. Walked the four miles into town from Timothy Beach one afternoon, had some drinks, listened to some music, finally ate dinner and cabbed it back. We never made it to the fort. Then we left for Nevis, mostly walked the beach and lounged there for a few more days. It was a great trip, but not the turquoise water or white sand.

We never felt unsafe during our week in Jamaica (Negril) last month. We don't stay at resorts, and were perfectly comfortable either walking the beach (during the day) or taking cabs at night. The most dangerous thing about the place is trying to walk along the road on the West End. Narrow, curvy, not much for shoulders and fast cars..... The beach was lovely, the cliffs were stunning. I think it would make a great honeymoon spot.

KatieR Dec 19th, 2010 03:34 PM

Another vote for Barbados.

suze Dec 19th, 2010 06:30 PM

I was in Negril Jamaica this past summer for 10 days. It is everything you describe. Absolutely gorgeous. There are resorts in all price ranges along the 7-mile white sand beach, both AI and not.

sarahbeth Dec 20th, 2010 03:54 AM

I have been going to Negril Jamaica for 20 years. I have NEVER been afraid or been in any situation that was dangerous. I have traveled with my children and walked the beach day and night without any problem. It is a very beutiful place, perfect for a honeymoon. I spent mine there 20 years ago and have been going back ever since. You can find any kind of accommodation and be very happy with it. I have stayed in many hotels in Negril. Any of the Sandals properties will far exceed all of your expectations for your all inclusive. You will be missing Negril and the Jamican experience if you don't go out and explore, don't be afraid to. The cliff hotels will make a perfect spot for a honeymoon, but if you love the beach, I would not recommend. It all depends on your budget! There are no highrises in Negril. They restrict the building to only be as tall as the trees on the property so most places are not overcrowded. Good luck!

WarrenH Jan 13th, 2011 01:36 PM

I will add my two cents to your investigation. In the past 2.5 years, I have been to Barbados, Puerto Plata (DR), Punta Cana (DR) and Playa Del Carmen (Mayan Riviera).

My favorite places were, in order:

Punta Cana (DR) - Beaches are unbelievably beautiful and lots of activities including great golf courses. This probably will not work for you due to lack of night life off of resort.

Playa - Beautiful Beaches, lots to do and amazing night life in Playa. You can party til 10:00 AM. I would suggest you consider this option.

Puerto Plata - Very nice but again no night life and beaches not as nice.

Barbados (a distant last) - my personal experience - I will never return as there were way too many bad experience. Highlights were the fish market and "Bert's Place", a great bar where I was able to watch the NHL playoffs.

Hope this is somewhat useful. I know that DR and Mayan are not on your list but you may wish to consider.

roxyD Jan 13th, 2011 01:56 PM

Thanks everyone for your input!

Warren, we decided on Playa... in the process of boooking it as we speak. Thanks much.

suze Jan 13th, 2011 02:03 PM

<I can help narrow it down by saying I would not recommend Jamaica, PR or St Vincent.>

I don't see how that helps really, unless you say WHY you would not recommend a place. Maybe what you didn't care for, I'd LOVE.

WarrenH Jan 17th, 2011 11:46 AM

Roxy,
Glad I could help. While my wife and I were in Playa a couple of months back, we took the collectivo (local taxi) from the resort into Playa a few times and had a great time. We are a little older so only stayed to party til about midnight which is when a lot of the bars just get going. The highlight of the trip for me was taking quads through jungle trails to a underground cenote (went swimming) and then to a jungle ranch. The ruins are a great outing as well. You will find plenty to do though.
Have a great time.

SuziMason Jan 18th, 2011 08:57 AM

I would recommend Grenada as it sounds perfect for what you are looking for! Beautiful white sand beaches, a range of hotels along the beautiful Grand Anse beach and surrounding areas to choose from - Grenada can be as peaceful or active as you wish it to be. The locals are very friendly and welcoming and you are sure to have a great time!