Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Snow on Ground, thoughts turn to Sun...What is THE BEST Beach Front Bar In the Caribbean?

Snow on Ground, thoughts turn to Sun...What is THE BEST Beach Front Bar In the Caribbean?

Feb 18th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Think Tom Cruise in "Cocktail"...Sunsets and island music, cocktails and island vibe....I don't want to go to an island that is so dead we are bored. I would like some nightlife but not a Marriott lounge singer in polyester...

Any Votes?

Island doesn't matter, I want to read about some fun evenings Fodorites have had over a few Mai Tai's or Rum punches!!

Feb 18th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Plant yourself on the 7 miles of beach in Negril Jamaica and you will find your heaven!
Feb 18th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

I was at the Grand Lido on Negril and the bar there was Terrible! Not on the beach, and you could hardly see it. We rarely left the property. Which resort are you refering to? Or just in general? I would like to go to a resort where we can party as much or as little as we want...I am being to look at Club Med's!

I guess most people on this board want a quiet 'get away'.

Feb 18th, 2006, 06:22 PM

beachkomer: You mention you hardly ever left the property at Grand Lido. You didn't really experience Negril Beach if that is the case. The AI's in Negril are on Bloody Bay. Negril Beach is lined with funky little beach bars that rank with the best in the Caribbean.

Here is my top 10 (in no particular order)!
1. Woody's - St. John (not beachfront)
2. Soggy Dollar Bar - White Bay, JVD
3. For Real Bar - Negril
4. Rick's - Negril (cliffs)
5. Rockhouse - Negril (cliffs)
6. Duggan's Reef - St. Croix
7. Beach Bar - St. John
8. Willy T's - The Bight at Norman Island, BVI
9. Foxy's - Jost Van Dyke, BVI
10. Margaritaville - Negril
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

You're right, I am so uninformed! That's why I have you guys!

Thanks, I will look these bars up and think about that Margarita while listening to reggee...
Feb 19th, 2006, 05:03 AM

I'd add :

My Bar @ Sunset House - Grand Cayman

Directly under the flightpath to the airport, so ideal when you have to pick someone up off an evening flight.... when the flight passes over your head you have time to finish your drink, then five minutes to the airport to greet them coming out of customs
Feb 19th, 2006, 05:12 AM

Don't forget Nipper's on Great Guana Cay in the Abacos.
Feb 19th, 2006, 05:49 AM

Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack on St. Kitts
Sunshine's on Nevis

And though not a Caribbean Island,

BC's on Ambergris Caye, Belize and
Sugar Reef in Placencia Belize (although not exactly beachfront).
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to Scuttlebutts, on the marina in Rodney Bay, St.Lucia? I was there before my 'easy cruise' and enjoyed a rum and coke while on one of those swings that looked out to the sunset. Not on the beach....but cool.

Thanks for the responses...it's about 10 degrees today and I need an warm 'escape'...
Feb 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM

beachkomer: Thanks for the dirty thoughts. Although, I actually find the memories of Tom Cruise in "Cocktail" just plain cheesy. As for fun times, my husband and I (prior to baby) serendipitously running into folks we know from home at "La Tapa" in Cruz Bay, St. John. Not on the waterfront but still very "Caribbean." Moving our little party a few yards up the street where this guy had set up something that looked like a kid's lemonade stand with a cassette player and some Christmas lights where he was making a little living selling beers for $2 a bottle. Very jolly, howling at the moon and chatting with other partying tourists from this roadside stand, laughing with our neighbors about all our friends back home in the snow. Now that's what I call nightlife. Another fun memory, One Love bar on White Bay beach on Jost Van Dyke. Unfortunately, they've lost a few custommers at sea during some rowdy evenings.
Feb 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM

What I wouldn't give for a Vodka & Ting right now!

2nd vote for Woody's on STJ, Island Blues in Coral Bay, STJ too.

Sunshine Bar on Nevis

Righteous Robert's on Mayreau (tho not on the beach).

Some little lime green & turquoise painted bar on the beach in Bequia was fun too (don't remember the name!)
Feb 20th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

yeah, I realize tom in 'cocktail' is cheesy (wasn't most of the 80's?!) I wasn't serious about finding that exact "scene"...lol..

Thanks for the great shared rum/gin driven memories!

Our "Easy cruise" bar got pretty crazy once we pulled out of port! Just trying to walk across that rolling deck after a few cocktail proved to be a challenge in survival!
Feb 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM

Quitos/ Cane Garden Bay/Tortola,bvi. also for me the most laid back..Ivans/ jost,bvi 2nd is Soggy Dollar/jost
Feb 21st, 2006, 04:30 AM

Not a beachfront but still a great view; Hemmingways in Nelsons Dockyard in Antigua. Go on cruise ship day, get a table on the upper balcony and just watch the show. They have ice-cold Wadadli beer and the best fried conch. It's a must!
LisaS
Feb 21st, 2006, 05:39 AM
MSQ

Basil's in Mustique regularly makes all the Magazine lists of one of the best bars in the world. It is also at the top of my list of beach front bars.

I also agree that the Dock Yard in Antiqua is great, as is that great little bar in Harbour Island who's name I have forgotten (is it the Pink Sand or Coral Sand?)
Feb 21st, 2006, 06:30 AM

The island scenes of Cruise in 'Cocktail' were shot at Dragon Bay
in Port Antonio/Jamaica and at a villa on the Blue Hole Lagoon. Sadly, Dragon Bay is no more, having been bought by Sandals and reportedly being turned into
time-share villa/condos.
Feb 21st, 2006, 06:59 AM

Don't forget Bomba's Shack on Tortola! Trippin man!

Also, I second Sunshine's on Nevis and Nipper's on Guana. There was some awesome people-watching at Nipper's (the things some women will do to a pole!). The scenery was first-class too.
Feb 21st, 2006, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

wow, Joan, what were they serving
to the pole cats....lol.. Must
have been SOME Rum Punch!
Feb 21st, 2006, 07:52 PM

Island: Aruba
Beach Bar: Kokoa

Kokoa is over the water, basically in front of the Radisson (the best hotel on Aruba).
Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:47 AM

Any Grand Cayman Beach Front FUN bars??
Trish

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO