snorkleing in Tortola

Jan 29th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

snorkleing in Tortola

We are looking for a day long snorkel trip and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sailing/catamarand type - not holding too many people. (not looking for a booze cruise particularly)
Jan 29th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Contact Valeria at Myette's in Cane Garden Bay Tortola.

Her family knows everything about how and where to snorkel Tortola.

[email protected]

Jan 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM
jgarvey

I agree with Marbleheadguy. Talk to Val or contact BVI divers site. A few of our favorite places to snorkel are Norman Island (the Bight, the caves), Cooper Island, and the Baths at Virgin Gorda. Put on a mask, put your face in the water anywhere. You just can't go wrong. jg

Jan 30th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Definately rent a 4-wheel drive and explore the island. In addition to going on a snorkeling trip, take a fin, mask and snorkel with you (good quality). There's beautiful reefs, for example, which come almost to shore on each side of Cane Garden Bay. I snorkeled all day there and identified Trumpet fish, Queen and French Angel fish, Caribbean squid, several reef sharks, barracuda, French and Blue-Stripped grunts, several octopus, Nassau Grouper, huge schools of Silversides, etc. Island exploring with 4-wheeler takes you to neat vistas like mountain-top views of Brewer's Bay on the NW corner of Tortola. The island is eco-conscious, and preserves the natural systems quite well. The result, incredibly site-seeing below and above the waters. Robert59
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM

I had my first snorkel experience on a daysail with Patouche Charters on Tortola. The boat only had about 8 people on it and we went to three or four wonderful spots where we were the only snorkelers. Snorkeling with two hawksbill turtles for about 20 minutes was a highlight of my life!
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:40 AM

igarvey mentioned the few areas still with areas of healthy coral (Baths are fish and sea anenomes around huge boulders) in the B.V.I.'s. Also, Jost Van Dyke my fiend said was still pretty good. He was there 2 weeks ago. He confirmed my impressions unfortunately of the dead and dying coral in most of Virgin Gorda and Anegada. You may even want to go on 2 outings before these area also get hit by the warming waters.
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!! for all the helpful information
Feb 5th, 2007, 05:33 AM

We went on a day sail on the Mystique. It is a beautiful catamaran with lots of shade (which was very important to us).