Snorkeling STX/USVI/BVI: Good Coral?

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 08:52 AM
Diane

Snorkeling STX/USVI/BVI: Good Coral?

We are trying to decide on a honeymoon location and one criterion is snorkeling where the coral is in good condition. I've read that Trunk Bay and Buck Island coral is in poor condition. How about areas off Virgin Gorda, Peter Island. Also, is the water near Biras Creek in BVI clear blue or dark-colored? We're addicts for clear turquoise and good coral....

Thanks!

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 12:26 PM
Emily

The hotel Intercontinental in Cozumel has fantastic snorkeling right at its' beach.
Have you considered this area?

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 10:08 AM
Erika

My fiance and I visited St John in May - and while we did not snorkel Trunk Bay, we snorkled almost every other beach we could. The coral is abundant and healthy in places like Salt Pond Bay, Waterlemon Cay and even off of the busy Hawknest beach. There is a premier snorkling location called the Indians which is between St John and the BVIs - there are several day sails that visit the site.
Trunk Bay commonly entertains the cruise ship crowds and is the only beach on St John that charges admission. Almost all of the other beaches are pristine and private - therefore protected from damage from uneducated swimmers. The primary reason my fiance and I chose St John was because of the abundant reef (I mean real coral reef - not just rock) close to the shoreline.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 04:20 PM
Diane

Thanks for the information! It's very helpful to know this... It seem as far as the snorkeling goes that we won't be disappointed in St. John.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 05:36 PM
Cheryl

Culebra is awesome! It's halfway between PR & STT. It is not a touristy place (which is why some people don't like it and others haven't heard of it) but we were there two years ago and the coral, colors, fish, were colorful and abundant. Swam alongside a 6 foor barracuda for a while! I almost hate to tell people about Culebra because so many careless people have spoiled reefs elsewhere, so if you do go there, treat with care! It's a gem (unless you're looking for luxury -- then it's not the right place for you!)

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 05:54 PM
Ray Snow

Hi Diane,
St. John and Virgin Gorda both have abundant terrific snorkeling spots. The reefs at Trunk Bay do get abused mainly by cruise ship crowds, but they are still worth seeing. Those at the opposite end of the beach from the heavily traveled underwater snorkel trail are very good. The best snorkeling on St. John is at Waterlemon Cay probably because it is so remote. The reefs around Buck Island have suffered some mainly from hurricanes but are still in good condition. You do have to pay to take a half day or full day snorkel tour to them, however. The water at Biras Creek is clear blue/green. The Indians mentioned by Erika are not far from Peter Island. I'm an avid snorkeler. My wife and I spent 2 weeks in June island hopping in both the BVI and USVI. If you would like to read some of my comments about snorkeling and other relevant stuff, you can see my trip report at the following URL: http://virginislandsnow.homestead.co...0vacation.html.
Best wishes,
Ray