Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Snorkeling - September (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/snorkeling-september-155700/)

susan Aug 5th, 2001 06:28 PM

Snorkeling - September

Hello! My husband and I will be celebrating our first anniversary in mid-September. We would like to go somewhere in the Caribbean with great snorkeling and warm water. I've looked at Cozumel and Bonaire; any suggestions favoring one over the other or a separate destination? Thanks!

Michelle Aug 6th, 2001 04:23 PM

I am a scuba diver, BUT haven't in 2 years due to great snokeling in Virgin Gorda (each pristine bay has different wildlife/fish) and St. John (same) If you're into solitude and rest/relaxation, Virgin Gorda is for you. If you want a little more (not much more, but more) then St. John is for you. Each island is quite a bit different, equally enjoyable. Water is very warm (I freeze in anything 80 degrees or under)

Louis Aug 6th, 2001 07:10 PM

First let me say that tnere is nowhere you can go in the Caribben in September where the shore waters will be much below 84F. I am happy to see that there are people that like snorkeling but it is becoming a problem on where to go. Over the last 40 years what is available to see is getting less and less and you can't compare today with yesterday.This however this is a viewpoint. If you have seen little then every new thing is a thrill. <BR> <BR>Another point is that September is about the peak of the hurricane season since the water temperature is near its maximu. The further south you go the less chance of a problem but there are no guarantees. If you are flexible you can alway get out of the way as they move slowly. <BR> <BR>Most people say go to Bonaire for this reason however you can have enough ocean surge from other storms in the area to make the water cloudy and visibility poor. It has been years since we have been there in the August time frame. We were not impressed of the snorkeling in that area compared to other parts of the world in earlier years. The water was also churned up. Others have said that you should have gone out to Klein Bonaire, this we did not. We traveled around the island by car and unless you had dive boots on you had a difficult time in entering the water or even getting to it down the steep banks. However without a doubt people will tell you to go there or either that or Cozumel. When we were there years ago, new developments were already killing the close to shore life. The best areas are out to sea where the divers go but it is deep with a lot of current. Again years ago we liked the area near there at Acumal on the mainland. However, one hurricane took out all of the palms at the place we often stayed and they also have biult a lot more places since. We have not been there recently. <BR> <BR>I know this is not very helpful. We were last at Guana Island in May and snorkeling was so - so since the water was stirred up due to earlier weather. It however has not ever been great there. The best snorkeling in that general region for our money is at Anegada in the BVI but that is not a truly deluxe destination. Between the two I tend to favor Cozumel as you can go the mainland and visit a few ruins which is an experience if you have never been there. Bonaire is a little more Americanized in comparison which can be good depending on your viewpoint. If you go to Cozumel take a snorkeling trip by boat. The water can be as clear as you will find anyplace. <BR> <BR>

joan Aug 7th, 2001 11:53 AM

The best snorkeling we ever did was at St. John. On one swim from shore, we saw turtles and starfish and huge brain coral and gorgeous fish. But, as Louis pointed out, that was a long time ago. There have been hurricanes since...but Michelle's post seems to confirm current conditions as being great too!