Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Snorkeling on St John how safe is to leave your stuff on the beach?

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

I have a nice camera that I would hate to lose. Actually, I dont want to loose it. So, is it safe to leave it on the beach? My gut instinct tells me that if I dont want to lose it, Id better not leave it on the beach.
But then, is it safe to leave it in a rental car parked in the parking lot, near the beach?

What do you do with your valuables (camera, wallet, etc)? We will rent a villa in Coral Bay is it safer to leave it there? Not sure we have a safe in the room.
Thanks
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:40 PM
MIG

I've heard there are some petty crime problems on STJ.

We generally left camera and wallet locked in the glove compartment of the car and took the car key with me in the water.

We did leave a backpack unattended on the beach while snorkeling and didn't have any problems, but I think better safe than sorry.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:50 PM

xyz,
We only took our underwater cameras with us when we planned on snorkeling alot..because if it gets stolen..they only cost $12.00.

We have been to St John twice and sometimes I took my digital camera with us.We did not have any problems leaving it in our stuff under a tree while we snorkeled.

I am not telling you that nothing will happen..I would still use some common sense and maybe take turns watching your stuff or leave the camera locked in the glove box of the car.

Good luck and have fun!
Christie
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 07:35 PM

While St. John is more laid-bakc and generally safer than most places on Earth regarding these kinds of concerns, I wouldn't suggest taking unnecessary chances. When I leave valuable things in our house, I hide them and I lock the doors... just like I do at home. I have never had a break-in to my car there and would do the same as I would in New England, if you leave your camera in the car, just tuck it under the seat and make sure you lock it. Most parking places are close to the beach and I have not heard of much incident regarding things being taken from the beach itself. Use your common sense, look around, assess your situation, figure out the smartest disposition of your valuables. Being in paradise is not a ticket to turn off your brain.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:44 AM

The thieves you ought to be worrying about are the little furry ones: the mongoose! (or is that mongEEse?)

While we were just finishing snorkeling at waterlemon cay, we watched as they snuck out of the woods and pilfered food from someone's nearby backpack. Keep stuff zipped up!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 06:53 AM

So true. Those darn thieving mongeese! And don't forget those marauding gangs of goats and pushy donkeys.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:43 AM

xyz99:

I agree with the others; leave the good stuff locked up and just take the disposable cameras. My wife and I rented a jeep and bounced from beach to beach; we kept the good camera hidden and locked in the car, which we parked in visible (open) places. Hide the camera BEFORE you get to your destination, so no one can see you with it. What little we left on the beaches (towels, sandals and the like) was not disturbed by any two or four legged creatures. Enjoy; it's a great island!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all this is exactly what I expected you to say, but I think I needed to hear iterr, see it.

Tusedocat, I love this: <<Being in paradise is not a ticket to turn off your brain.>>

I will take my camera, but leave it in the villa when going snorkeling. And just carry disposable underwater ones (I hear they make these nowadays, and they are pretty good).
Thanks a lot

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Bring a couple zip-loc freezer bags. Zip up your good camera, and bury it in the sand near your stuff. Works great, and now you'll be able to take quality pictures at every beach you visit. Worked great for us in STT where the beaches were quite crowded. If someone wants to steal my towel & shoes...have at it. Money & keys fit inside my waterproof case that I wear around my neck while snorkeling. Most dive shops carry them.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm, ScottB,
Good idea about the zip lock bag. Not sure Ill use it or not (my camera is an SLR, not a small digital) but I will definitely get the waterproof case for the keys + cash well carry.
Thanks