Snorkeling/kayaking in Bonaire in Feb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of a trip to Bonaire in Feb. We love snorkeling, kayaking, biking & hiking/walking, casual and relatively quiet environments. Is this a good choice? Recommendations for accommodations gladly received.
Thanks,
Janet
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 08:20 PM

Janet,
Bonaire will certainly and far exceed your expections for snorkeling, the areas which is almost the entire north, west and south sides of the island are shore accessible snorkeling opportunities. There are drift snorkeling opportunities as well. Kayaking, while I haven't personally done it should be good. Now the negative based on your criteria, while biking is certainly easy its a flat dry island, hiking/walking of course can do but again nothing really to see, you won't find the dramatic vista like on St. Lucia for example. The beaches are not great, they are generally grainy small ground coral bits, where water shoes are a necessity. The island is quiet as far as tourism goes but note there is some crime problems, mostly just theft. Bottomline, if you are going for diving and/or snorkeling its top notch...for everything else its mediocre, and definitely laid back.
Old Nov 13th, 2004, 08:51 PM

Hi Janet, I think Bonaire would be a great choice for you. The snorkeling is outstanding, and if you know where to go the hiking is great too. We hiked to the top of Subi Brandaris (the island high point)located in Washington-Slagbaii National Park and the views were awesome. Obviously the arid island would not compare to St Lucia, but it still has some great topside attractions. Check out our travel journal for a trip report and tons of photos..maybe it will help you make up your mind. Our website is www.nbhtravel.com Hope this info helps you out. Have a great trip wherever you choose. Oh yeah, we stayed at the Divi Flamingo and really liked it...great snorkeling right in front of the hotel and the Chibi Chibi is a great place to eat. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 06:07 AM

Definitely take aqua socks or something to wear on your walk from shore to a couple of feet of water. from their the snorkling is greatly varied. The Andrea 1 site was our favorite. The coral is good and so are the fish. Our web site dave-lori-home.com has some eating tips and has plenty of pictures. The desert country side is actually pretty.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 12:31 PM

You cn go kayaking in the Lac Bay mangrove forest. It's pretty fun. They have tours and everyone gets on a kayak for about an hour.
There is a lot of hiking to do at the National Park (which encompasses the northern half of the island). We didn't go hiking there but there are trails to take, you will need a car though and plenty of small beaches throughout as well.
We stayed at Kontiki Beach Club, a husband and wife owned property. I recently got an e-mail stating they bought some more units in the same area. They are located by Lac Bay, kind of remote but not that far away from the city. They are across from a bay with a beautiful view of the bay that post card perfect. I went 2 years ago in August and got a packaged deal that included accomodations, kayaking, windsurfing and massage. I would definitely stay there again.