snorkeling in the family islands

Feb 3rd, 1999, 07:35 AM
natalie

snorkeling in the family islands

would,like to hear if anyone has found an island where you can snorkle from the beach.any recoomendations for a hotel. Wewould like to try the family islands in the bAHAMAS.

Feb 5th, 1999, 12:31 PM
Cheri

Best from shore snorkeling we have ever experienced was in Bonaire. The Plaza is a nice place to stay.

Jun 12th, 1999, 04:39 AM
Robert Morton

Natalie; Have been to Eleuthera, Abaco, San Salvador("San Sal"), New Providence, Exuma, etc. Ironically, at the Old British Colonial("BC") in downtown Nassau, we saw a variety of reef fish while snorkeling in 5 feet of water on their beach, by the breakwall: grunts, baracuda, angel fish, sargeant majors, bar jacks, damsel fish, etc. Of course, no beautiful hard or soft coral was there. The point is, there are neat places all over the bahamian isles. I'd recommend renting a car and simply asking the hotel where the best beaches with reefs are, and go snorkeling there. We did this, and on Eleuthera found "Ten Bay Beach" was great!!!! Even on New providence Island(Nassau), rent a car and jump in any beach which looks inviting. Get a Reef Fish ID book, and I'll bet you'll ID up to 45 or so species of reef fish and coral before you go!! On Exuma, you can do the same, but I'd recommend going to Stocking Island via Hotel Peace & Plenty. Great isolated beaches with nice patches of coral and reef life. Buy a cheap underwater camera(the disposable type) and good snorkeling mask, fins and snorkel(the kind blocks off water from pouring down the tube when you submerge) in the states and take with you. Don't settle with renting them. Have fun. Robert

Jun 12th, 1999, 08:33 AM
tweedy

I think the best snorkling is off the N coast of Eleuthera off Harbour Island. It is a wonderful island and you won't need to rent a car, you walk everywhere, the island is pretty small, but so beautiful, one of the 10 most beautiful islands and beaches in the world according to Islands Mag a couple of years ago.

It looks like a 1700 fishing village, which it was and is now one of the nicest vacations spots. There are several nice places to stay and alot of restaurants, a little shopping and amazing dive and snorkle sites. There are 2 dive shops on the island, Valentine's and Romora Bay and you can take a resort course and try diving.

I have been going to the area for 15 years and always have a wonderful time.

You can take a boat out to one of the smaller islands and snorkle with rays or so right off the beach to a reef about 200 feet off shore.

There are alot of wrecks in the area and even a civil war train, that sunk on a barge shortly after the civil war,

If I can be of more help please let me know.

Tweedy

Search this Thread