Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Snorkeling in St. Thomas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/snorkeling-in-st-thomas-536768/)

koi Jun 14th, 2005 05:32 PM

Snorkeling in St. Thomas

Any suggestions for a beautiful beach that offers good snorkeling? We will be on a cruise and want a beach that is fairly close to the cruise ship dock.

Curt Jun 15th, 2005 04:31 AM

Get the current issue of Caribbean Travel and Life magazine- it has great article on snorkeling in the USVI. In a nutshell, go to St John for the best beaches...easy ferry ride from St Thomas and more than likely your ship will offer excursion

mm Jun 15th, 2005 05:04 AM

Considering the question involved St. Thomas, not St. John, I recommend Coki Beach. It has a real local and funky flavor and off-the-beach snorkling which is excellent for fish. Not a bright coral area but the fish are plentiful. Coral World is right next door.

St. John is excellent but you'll be fighting with large number of fellow cruisers.

Coki is low stress, easy to get to, and fun.

mm

Schultz Jun 15th, 2005 05:04 AM

Hi There,

the beaches closest to the cruise ship dock are not the best for snorkeling. If you want a crowded beach with lots of local flavor and great snorkeling try Coki; if you want a quiet beach with really good snorkeling, try Secret Harbour. Both are a 15 minute cab ride from the dock. Both also have food and drink available.

Schultz

mjz Jun 15th, 2005 05:05 AM

I agree with Curt. The snorkeling on St. John was really good - specifically at Cinnamon Bay, Lameshure Bay and Salt Pond Bay. I doubt you would have time for a day excursion to the British Virgin Islands, but I found the snorkeling to be amazing and the islands were gorgeous.

virginia Jun 24th, 2005 04:38 PM

just back from st. t. we did beach snorkels at secret harbour and wyndham sugar bay. sh is always good but was surprised at wyndham. lots of turtles, spotted rays & asst. fish off to the right.
if you can gather a small group have a taxi take you to lindquist beach. its between pavillions and pools and sapphire. it is a locals beach and you would want a group so some could watch your stuff while others swim/snorkel. there are NO amenities. but it is a long,really beautiful beach and the snorkeling is outstanding. be sure to arrange your ride back!, take food and lots of drinks.

koi Jun 24th, 2005 08:44 PM

Can you rent snorkel equipment at Secret Harbor? I wasn't sure since it said that it is a condo resort and I won't be staying there.

jfahey Jun 25th, 2005 08:14 AM

Yes you can rent equipment at Secret Harbor. Have fun!

luvtravl Jun 26th, 2005 07:03 AM

Sapphire Beach (near the point) is a wonderful snorkeling spot. On a cruise last fall we spent the day at this location. A family we met who are frequent visitors to the USVI said that the snorkeling was better at Sapphire than they had experienced on previous trips to St John. We loved it there.