Snorkeling in Puerto Rico

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 07:41 PM
Deborah S. Rice

Snorkeling in Puerto Rico

Hello!

We are going to Puerto Rico in two weeks and want to know where the best snorkeling in Puerto Rico is. We're bringing our own equipment, so that's not an issue. Also, if the best snorkeling requires chartering a boat, are there any recommendations? I would really appreciate some help! Thanks!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 09:15 PM
CoolWiz

Hi Deborah

Just came back from the Caribbean Islands and Puerto Rico for 2 weeks. I found the best snorkeling in Peurto Rico to be at the Spanish Virgin Islands off the east coast --- Calebra and Vieques. You can fly from St Juan or take a ferry (for about $2) from Fajardo on the east coast. (email me if you want detail instructions by local transport to get there.)

At Vieques, snorkeling at Esperanza is great and easily accessible from the beach. The beach is nothing to shout about, but there is an abundance and good variety of fishes and corals.
Click on "Dive Caribbean" for pix at:

http://members3.clubphoto.com/cool270985/

For a magical snorkeling experience, go to Mosiquito Bay at night before moon rise. It is one of the most spectacular Bioluminescent Bays in the world. The mysterious blue-green light (glow) is created by micro-organisms whenever something moves in the water. For details:

http://www.biobay.com/

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Debbie Rice

Thanks for the info-the pictures are great!

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Deborah! Cool Wiz has given you good advice for snorkeling from the shore. Vieques and Culebra have the most beautiful beaches in Puerto Rico, and I love them. The bio bay in Vieques is truly spectacular, and one of my favorite eperiences. However, be advised that the best beaches in Vieques are in the Navy's land and there's a some unrest right now as the Navy has been bombing the island repeatedly for the last 25 years, and the Navy recently (1 year ago) killed a local in an "exercise." The people of Vieques, Puerto Rico, and many Americans concerned about the environment have been trying to get the Navy out of Vieques. I don't think the Navy is allowing people into their land to go to the best beaches. Esperanza is not on Navy's property and you can always visit it and snorkel there, but you may not have access to the other wonderful beaches.

Another option is to take one of the catamaran day cruises that depart from the Fajardo marina. I think they cost about $55 for the day if you meet the cat in Fajardo, or about $65-70 is they pick you up in San Juan. I've done this trip twice and both times we had a lot of fun. They take you sailing to some reefs near the cays off Fajardo that are only reachable by boat. The reefs have many colorful fish, brain coral, colorful fans, etc. They give you a light lunch (sandwiches, salads, fruits) and there's unlimited rum punch on board (if you want, if you don't there's water, soda, etc.). In the afternoon you can snorkel some more or they will drop you at one of the cays, if you just want to lounge, so it's a good option for diverse parties in which some people wan to snorkel, and some don't. When you get to the airport, there will be someone from the tourism office in a booth (dressed in green). Ask this person about the snorkeling catamarans from Fajardo, and you will be given brochures, which you can call. Or, the different cat cruises advertise in the back of the free Que Pasa magazine, also available at the booth.

Enjoy your vacation!

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 02:09 PM
Debbie Rice

I had heard there was some trouble with the Navy but was not sure how high tensions were running. Thanks for your help!