Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Snorkeling in front of Grand Cayman hotels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/snorkeling-in-front-of-grand-cayman-hotels-26675/)

Darlene Jun 4th, 1998 01:39 PM

Snorkeling in front of Grand Cayman hotels?

We have a trip planned for Spring '99. We would like a moderately priced hotel(we're considering Treasure Island) with GOOD snorkeling off their beach, which would also include a nice sunbathing beach for the one left waiting and relaxing. Is there such a dream spot on Grand Cayman? Are all GOOD snorkeling spots by tour boat only? Any input is appreciated.

D Jun 7th, 1998 05:29 PM

We just got back from Grand Cayman. We stayed at the Treasure Island Condos, which is connected to the resort. They have two nice pools and the snorkeling off their property is really good. We snorkeled quite a bit during our stay, and the beaches on either side of Treasure Island just look like pure sand, where Treasure Island has a small reef or two for snorkeling. They do have a beach so you can sit and relax. It also has an excellent sunset view. Every night it was beautiful. So I would recommend Treasure Island as a place for good snorkeling just a walk away. If you do take a snorkel tour, I would recommend Captain Marvin's. We did the full day tour and it was excellent. One stop to dive for your own conch shell (which you eat as an appetizer with your lunch that is included with the trip), plus a trip to Stingray City, and two other really great snorkel stops - where we snorkeled with a huge sea turtle that comes to eat scraps from the conch. It was great! Email me if you would like more info.

Todd Jun 9th, 1998 07:31 AM

Darlene: <BR> <BR>Besides Captain Marvin's, you may want to call Aquanauts Dive Center at Morgan Harbour (345) 945-1990. Ask if Karen Pockett (dive master who certified me) is still there. Even if you don't use their service, Karen has lots of knowledge on the snorkeling, diving, accomodation and how to enjoy the island without breaking the bank. Tell her that Todd and Kim say "hi"! And don't miss Stingray City..it's a real treat! <BR>

Darlene Jun 24th, 1998 04:13 AM

Thanks for your input. Are there any other suggestion out there?

Darlene Aug 3rd, 1998 12:27 PM

Any other suggestions? or should I change islands?

Betty Aug 4th, 1998 11:04 AM

You might try Cayman Kai. It has nice units and is not quite so expensive as 7 mile beach. The drawback is that it is about a half hour drive into town. The UPSIDE is that it has a nice reef right out front and is a very short drive over to Rum Point where you can swim out to much more snorkeling. The area is not nearly so crowded, and while we did drive into town several times, we enjoyed the restaurant at C.Kai and the more quiet atmosphere too.

Beverly Aug 10th, 1998 05:53 AM

I'm thinking of staying at the Marriott on seven-mile beach. Can you snorkel from that beach? If you take the snorkel tours, how much are they?

Steve Morris Aug 14th, 1998 12:05 PM

I just got back from Treasure Island and I was not impressed. The beach wasnt a beach at all, just a bunch of rocks. The rooms arent all that great, and the hallways are very hot, because the AC vents out. The snorkeling is OK, but there are better places. The best part was the landscaping. The pools are beautiful. <BR>

John Aug 16th, 1998 04:11 AM

<BR>Steve, now that you have been what hotel and beach would you reccomend? Thanks John