Snorkeling in Anegada-Excellent?

Jan 18th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Snorkeling in Anegada-Excellent?

WE have snorkeled in Virgin Gorda (Baths) St. John (off Caneel Bay beaches) and Trunk Bay and at least 15 Caribbean Islands-Bonaire, Anguilla, Grand Cayman, Nassau, Barbados etc. Also have snorkeled at several atolls in Belize and Anthony's Kety Resort in Roatan, Honduras.
I give you all this as a frame of reference not to brag.
It is very costly for a power boat to take us to Anedada but will have from 8 AM-4:30PM one day the first week of April so timing would give us 2-2 1/2 hours of snorkeling.
IS IT WORTH IT?? Please be open for it will cost us $500 for the 6 hour day for the boat, captain and a mate.
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Sorry, don't have an answer for you, but hoping you can help us, since you seem to love snorkeling as much as my husband and I do. Which island/hotel would you recommend for early June in the Caribbean? We want something nice (leaning upscale), quiet, with good snorkeling right from the hotel beach in calm waters, like the El Presidente in Cozumel. Been researching but am confused. Would appreciate the perspective of someone who has been there, done that. Thanks very much.
Jan 26th, 2005, 05:25 AM

I haven't snorkeled in anegada, but from researching an upcoming trip to the BVI I know that you can do a day trip from either Tortola or Virgin Gorda to fly to Anegada for a day trip. I think included in that is transportation to a snorkeling beach, but not the cost of lunch. I was being quoted pp rates of around $150 for such a daytrip. Perhaps that you suit you better? Let us know what you find out.
Feb 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM

We flew from Little Dix to Anegada on a day trip a few years ago. Split the cost with another couple who we had met at the resort. It was absolutely magnificient. They picked us up at the airstrip. Taxi to Lobloby beach where we snorkeled all day (except for the lobster lunch which was great.) We four were the only ones there! We have snorkeled most of the St Johns beaches, Anguilla, Hawaii, Petit St Vincent, and enjoy it a lot as well. The Anegada snorkeling was very good (maybe not quite up to one or two of the St. Johns beaches, but very good and very uncrowded). However, the entire experience was really magical as you don't realize that there are still some places where you are truly the only ones around. If you can split the airfare with someone else and swing the private plane, it was really a one of a kind experience and you get the entire day there.
Feb 1st, 2005, 01:10 PM

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in October at Caneel and Peter Island, and did a day trip to Anegada.
We chose to fly using Island Birds out of Tortolla. Initially we were going to charter a boat, but several boat operators as well as Peter Island staff said they would not recommend it because of time constraints and the open ocean you need to cross, often is rough.
Island Birds will take you from Tortilla to Anegada for 118.00 per person, included is taxi to the beach and Lobster lunch. They fly all twin-engine planes, and the staff is great.
I would recommend flying; especially when considering price and the extra time you're on the beach.
The snorkeling is very good; the beach is surrounded by reef in every direction.
I only snorkeled off Scott Beach at Caneel, (and Trunk) so I can only compare this to Anegada, and hands down Anegada has it over Scott Beach. Trunk Bay was beautiful, but over population has made snorkeling there, not even worth it.
Try islandbirds.com-then click on specials on the home page.
Feb 18th, 2005, 04:26 PM

I enjoyed snorkeling in Anegada, but it was not my favorite BVI snorkel site. Monkey Point, off Guana was better. In fact when I snorkled there last winter it was so impressive I'd say it was my best snorkel ever. Note, it was a bit windy when I was in Anegada, so that may have effected the snorkeling.