Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   sNORKELING FOR NON - SWIMMERS (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/snorkeling-for-non-swimmers-715185/)

bokill Jun 22nd, 2007 06:57 AM

sNORKELING FOR NON - SWIMMERS

We have usually done snorkeling in neck deep waters since my better half dosent swim.

Is it possible to snorkel in deeper waters wearing a snorkel vest or life vest?

ejcrowe Jun 22nd, 2007 07:09 AM

well, i suppose you could, but why would you want to risk a non-swimmer's life by going into deeper waters?

beachdreams3 Jun 22nd, 2007 07:21 AM

Absolutely. I swim but have done off-shore snorkeling (i.e., off a boat on excursions where they gave everyone these really thin vests). I saw that some people inflated theirs (I just left mine flat). I also have read several posts where people who don't know how to swim snorkel wearing a life vest.

A_Traveller Jun 22nd, 2007 07:26 AM

Yes, you can. People do it all the time.

My spouse is a non-swimmer and uses a snorkel vest all the time. As a matter of fact the first time the water was 30' deep and spouse just jumped of the rear of the boat into the water and had no problems whatsoever - felt very safe and secure. The extra bouyancy provided by the vest gave spouse a high level of confidence.

FYI - it's better to use a snorkel vest rather than a life vest as they are designed to allow a person to float in the water with their face in the water - life vests, on the other hand, are designed to keep the head out of the water and are thus more difficult to use while snorkeling. You can buy an inflatable snorkel vest in any dive shop, most large sporting goods stores (like Academy) or on-line. They are inexpensive and when uninflated take up virtually no room in your luggage.

One other suggestion - shortie wetsuits also provide the swimmer with added bouyancy - they keep your body temperature up and allow poor or weak swimmers to float with less effort.

bokill Jun 22nd, 2007 11:24 AM

Thanks a lot. This was most helpful

Maggi Jul 3rd, 2007 05:40 PM

I'm a chicken when it comes to deep water as well. What's the difference between a snorkel vest and a snorkel belt? Which is better?

mymoosie Jul 3rd, 2007 05:53 PM

I haven't tried a snorkel belt, so I googled it just to be sure what it was and it looks like it is made of a foam-type material that you wear around your waist. I've seen these belts worn for deep water aerobics classes.
A snorkel vest you can inflate or deflate as you wish. Personally I would prefer a snorkel vest.

My hubby by the way does not swim but is an avid snorkeler. As long as he's got a mask and a tube, he's comfortable. He does wear a snorkel vest.

mymoosie Jul 3rd, 2007 05:57 PM

Forgot, there are photos here:
http://www.laststopsports.com/Watertoys.htm

The View Board looks neat.

By the way, the first time I snorkeled I wore a snorkel vest, and took a kick-board with me to hold onto just to give me extra confidence.

christiegr Jul 3rd, 2007 06:51 PM

I have a snorkeling vest..personally I think that it is better than a belt as you can inflate and deflate as you like..to dive down and explore!I paid $50 for mine..in St John..I bet that you could find one cheaper at home to take with you.

Christie

AshleyWindsor Jul 3rd, 2007 10:47 PM

It is possible to snorkle wearing a life vest because we did it with my son when he was younger. I recommend going on a snorkle trip with guides to do this DO NOT GO ALONE!!! It would be a good idea to go to a coral reef because they are normally quite shallow and absolutly spictacular.

Maggi Jul 4th, 2007 07:03 AM

Christie, I haven't mastered the "diving down" thing yet. You have my admiration! Looks like a vest is the way to go. Don't laugh - I'm going to take a two hour snorkeling class before we head out in August. Maybe they can figure out why I keep getting water in my mask.

christiegr Jul 4th, 2007 07:48 AM

Maggi,
Maybe you need to tighten your mask?

iw Jul 4th, 2007 08:07 AM

Wow, I wish I had known about a vest on Monday in St. Barts, as I do not float. I am not heavy, but it's just not there for me. Thanks for the great information. Now DH and I can go together, as I do not like to swim!

Maggi Jul 4th, 2007 08:16 AM

Christie, I've tried it all - I think I have a weird shaped face or something. IW, the less body fat you have the less able you are to float. Suffice to say, I have no problem floating. :-)

iw Jul 4th, 2007 08:58 AM

Maggi! Too funny! I am nota perfect shape and love to eat, but I am on the short side and have never been able to float. Maybe DH wanted to snorkle and dive in peace, since we worked out over 1/2 of our vacation at various spots. Something for me to think about.:)

Angler973 Jul 4th, 2007 10:54 AM

Hi Bokill,
You can abolutely do this, by having your wife wear a good quality inflatable snorkeling vest. That is exactly what my wife does, She barely swims, but loves to snorkel, and we have spent many happy hours snorkeling at some of the best spots around the world. The vest is much better than a belt because it confidently lets her get in the proper position when snorkeling. Buy a good vest ahead of time at a dive shop and take it along. Rinse it in fresh water after each use, and she (and you) will enjoy it for many years.

christiegr Jul 4th, 2007 05:30 PM

Maggi,

I have no problem floating either.Also the more salt in the water..the more that you will float!:)