Club Med: Penny wise and pound foolish

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I were supposed to go to Club Med/Columus Isle Oct. 22-29. We were scheduled to fly from San Jose, Calif. to Miami on Oct. 21 and connect there the next day with our BahamasAir flight to San Salvador. But then, several days before our scheduled departure from San Jose, along came Wilma. My wife, who's a nervous flyer in the best of conditions, got cold feet and did not want to go. After 10 years of marriage, I knew that there was no way I could talk her onto a plane. I also had concerns about whether the slowly advancing storm would disrupt our trip, preventing us from getting to or out of Miami. I had booked our vacation the previous March, taking advantage of a special promotion -- seven nights for the price of three. At this point, the money I'd paid up-front eight months earlier was 100 percent non-refundable. I spoke to a Club Med supervisor and told her that I understood that they would not refund our money. I asked if, instead, they could at least give us a credit for the land portion of the trip, to be applied against a future Club Med vacation, within a time-certain, such as a year. She said that since Hurricane Wilma was not affecting Saturday departures to Columbus Isle from either Fort Lauderdale or Miami as of the time of our conversation Thursday afternoon, there was nothing she could or would do for me.

I cannot understand Club Med's unwillingness to even give us a credit for the land portion of our package. At any time, they must have hundreds of empty rooms all over the world. Their buffet tables are overflowing, no matter what. Their bars are open, no matter what. So what difference would it make to their balance sheet to house two more people -- especially people who previously paid for a week's vacation that they didn't in fact use. Zip, nada, as far as I can tell.

I have been a Club Med "GM" since 1990. I have vacationed at Clubs in Cancun, St. Lucia, Turks & Caicos and Bora Bora. I've enjoyed my trips to Club Med. But as a result of their rigid unwillingness to accommodate us in view of unusual circumstances (an upredictable hurricane), I will NEVER, EVER vacation at Club Med again.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:07 PM

I'm sorry but I just don't get it!

You entered into a contract with ClubMed and got a good deal on your vacation - now you want to change that and expect them to accomodate you?

Are you expecting a different answer from your airline?

I'd be more annoyed at my partner than ClubMed! but then again there would just be more space in the bed on MY vacation
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:14 PM

A few thoughts: As you have been with CM for 15 yrs. have you considered going up the ladder as it were? In other words if the 1st person says "no" then try another one, someone higher up. I would hope that your loyalty as a customer would mean something to someone over there. They are w/i their rights but to strictly interpret the rules 100% of the time, esp. to a long time customer should mean something. Penny wise and pound foolish indeed if it doesn't.
If you are of the mindset try writing to the Ombudsman at Cande Nast Traveler mag. They often intervene successfully in such cases. Good luck. Larry
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 02:41 PM

Larry !!!! HoW are you ??? ( post highjacker here ) so I apologize , but .... Where are you headed this year ? lol ,Faith .
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Jacketwatch, thanks. I've only gone as far as the first supervisor. I'll try to "climb higher up on the ladder" tomorrow.

Alya, yeah I know I "entered into a contract." But shouldn't it be the goal of an outfit like Club Med to keep its clientele happy? Over the long run, my potential repeat business could be worth significantly more than the $3,000 or so that they've already pocketed from me. So when I politely ask for a credit to apply to a future vacation -- and not for my money back -- you'd think they'd be willing to comply to keep me as a paying customer in the future. As things stand, I'll never deal with them again.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Hi Faith: Well actually today is my BD and we just returned form dinner out so all is well. How are you and what plans have you made? So far it is too soon to determine but we have thrown around several ideas:
1. The Cook islands
2. A cruise of French Polynesia
3. An Eastern Med. cruise
4. Maybe meetings some German friends of ours somewhere in Europe
5. Whatever else may come up. So how's the weather in Canada now? Getting cold I'll bet. At least there is hockey. And in Chicago we have a rarity--World Series! Go Sox.
Delrey: Best of luck with your efforts. Your request is reasonable and I hope someone there will see it that way. Life is not always sticking to the black and white of a contract. Cheers, Larry
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 05:50 PM

hi delray. i can't say i think CM should do as you have requested since when you booked you knew it would be hurricane season and that DW is a nervous flyer. but as you point out they have clubs all over the world. could you still go but change clubs and just not fly through miami. i don't think even trip insurance would work here unless they shut miami down tom and that seems highly unlikely. conde nast does seem to help people out. good luck
larry and faithie - first frost here in maine tonight. and our sox not in the series...
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 07:51 PM

Delreybird,

welcome to the 'Real World', that's how businesses work. We might not like it but to ClubMed you are a small fish in a big ocean

I too would suggest that you try to contact someone higher in the organisation and I do wish you the best of luck.

Are you trying the "Can I have a credit for future use?" with your airline? It doesn't appear so. Why not? Why is your contract with ClubMed different to your contract with the airline.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:50 AM
KVR

We had a similar experience with Sandasl. We booked early this year and did not buy any type of trip or cancellation insurance. DH became ill and we had to reschedule. Sandals was wonderful. Rebooked our trip for next Nov. and we were able to book at a new lower sales price with no pentelties. American Airlines charges us $250 total to reschedule the air.

DH has become better so we booked a trip to Cozumel instead for this Nov. We made sure we bought all applicaple insurance this time. We are now in the process of deciding if we are going to go now due to the hurricane. We still have 3 weeks before our departure.

Do you have a travel agent? Our TA that booked our Sandals vacation was great in getting us rescheduled. If not, I agree, to try and go up the corporate ladder. Good Luck.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:45 AM

Yes .... Getting cold , all's well , hockey started for my son , homework , indoor soccer for my Bella .... Mommy stuff ! Still want to go back to Costa Rica for the break . We'll see !!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:46 AM

Oops ! ( dreadful , shameless highjacker that I am !! lol ) Happy Birthday ! To the o.p. , Good Luck !
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:26 AM

To Faith, alias "shameless hijacker" or SJ for short: LOL! Good luck in getting to CR. I hear nothing but good things about that place. Also thanks for the BD wish. Cheers, Larry
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:59 AM

Jacketwatch,

Another thread *hijacker* here. Happy belated birthday ! All of your travel options sound wonderful and I'd guess good enough to soothe any post-birthday woes...no matter how high the number ;-) !

I second your "Go Sox" and will be cheering for them. My Sox are Red....but I wish you the same kind of miracle that we enjoyed last year ! Some miracles are worth the wait.

Marion
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 09:46 AM

Thank you Marion. Actually if I recall correctly I was the first to post on Fodors last yr. about the curse being reversed after game 4 vs. the Cards. At heart I am a true Cub fan so if the Red Sox can do it then there is hope for the Cubbies. However I will ardently root for the White Sox too. It would be nice to sport championship Tee's again. Thanks again for the BD wishes and here's hoping for many happy travels in the future. Larry
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:14 PM

Delreybird,
So sorry to hear your trip might not be working out for you. That is so unfortunate. Hoping you will come back and tell us your wife had a change of mind and you both got on the plane today the 21 and took this trip.

I must say though, it would be very unusual to get a refund or the opportunity to reschedule a trip, when one has booked a "special promotion at 100 percent nonrefundable" rate through a resort or hotel within, such... a short notice, of a few days.

Even with booking a resort out right, without any promotion, there are always limitations to refunds and rescheduling. Without having the an insurance policy that would cover such an event, and, at that you need to read the policy you choose over carefully that it would cover "cold feet." A cancel for any reason policy would be needed here.

Your quote:
"cannot understand Club Med's unwillingness to even give us a credit for the land portion of our package. At any time, they must have hundreds of empty rooms all over the world. Their buffet tables are overflowing, no matter what. Their bars are open, no matter what. So what difference would it make to their balance sheet to house two more people -- especially people who previously paid for a week's vacation that they didn't in fact use. Zip, nada, as far as I can tell."

I hear you, and understand your thoughts, I know you are looking at it as, just, "two people" but... I really don't think people can comprehend just how many other people will be canceling their trip to this resort the same time as you and at any other given time for various reasons. There is cost to having rooms ready, staff at hand, and overflowing buffets, in anticipation that the weeks guests, with show up. When they don't it does effect there balance sheet.

Most resorts will be flexible for reschedule within there cancellation policy, given a reasonable amount of time for them to rebook your room to someone else.

Even under Sandals policy you would be forfeiting 100% of your monies.

Here is Sandals policy for cancellation charges of any booking.

Cancellation Policy
Cancellation charges (unless otherwise indicated) will depend on the time at which notice of cancellation is received. Cancellation Policies for Land Packages
45 to 30 days prior to arrival $200 per person
29 to 15 days prior to arrival 50% of package
14 to 0 days prior to arrival 100% of package

Cancellation Policies for Air/Land Packages
45 to 30 days prior to arrival $200 per person
29 to 15 days prior to arrival 50% of package
14 to 0 days prior to arrival 100% of package
All changes are subject to restrictions according to the participating carriers

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Everybody,

Yesterday, I got through to a woman higher up on the food chain at Club Med's booking office in Scottsdale, AZ (probably the capo de supervisors). After I made my case, emphasizing that I did not want my money back, just a credit for the land portion of the trip to apply against a future visit -- and politely pointed out that Club Med would lose all my potential repeat business otherwise (I said I'd been treated better at Staples), she very nicely agreed to give us a credit. As a result, we were able to reschedule our visit to Columbus Isle for next April, and Club Med got another $2,000 out of the deal. We had originally booked on a cheaper seven-nights-for-the-price-of-three promotion. In effect, she upsold us to a more expensive package, making more money for Le Club while preserving our good will at the same time. That's what I call intelligent business design.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:09 AM

Applause! Sometimes you just have to keep at it until you find someone to "get the picture"
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:16 PM

Hey, I like Staples - Now if you'd said Wal-mart

Good for you I hope you both have a wonderful time.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 04:56 PM

You should have bought the travel insurance called Total Peace of Mind. It's $50/pp for the adult, and you can recover all the $$, except for the membership if your cancelled reason is covered. Your membership is effective for a year, so you can simply change the date later. I had this additional travel insurance and it was well worth it. Next time make sure you ask for one.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Doubledown,I agree on the travel insurance but most dont cover for hurricanes unless the hotel or airport are closed. Which they were not in this case because the storm had not hit yet. Is this not the case with this insurance? Can you cancel for any reason? It sounds great is it only for for Club Med?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -