Snacks in my suitcase to Grand Cayman

Jun 5th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Lu

Snacks in my suitcase to Grand Cayman

Yes, I'm a tightwad with a sweet tooth. Can I take snacks onto the island or will the Customs officials uncover my Poptarts?

Jun 5th, 2001, 12:51 PM
dixie

We always take snacks with us. A can or two of Pringles chips and a couple bags of something sweet. No one will get you for doing that.

Jun 5th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Joe

Sure, just don't take anything fresh. No produce or meats. We take cereal & buy milk. Anything dry or canned is fine. Actually I think you can carry frozen, but you may have to be inspected. The customs officer may ask if you're carrying food (if you have a lot of bags) & a dollar amount (rough estimate). Be honest by all means. They're always nice. Tuna, cookies, mixes, chips, cokes, most anything in your pantry. There are $ limits (go to the official Cayman website). It will also tell you how much alcoholic beverage you're allowed to bring in.

Jun 7th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Suzanne Nelson

I'm leaving for Grand Cayman in 3 days. I have a small cooler packed with snack and breakfast food. Now I see at the Grand Cayman website that I have to pay duty of 20% if it's over a certain dollar amount. However, they didn't state how much that was. Anyone know?
And does that include the wine I've packed or is that separate? Thanks!

Jun 8th, 2001, 07:17 AM
ann

We had about 50 $ in foodstuffs with no duty. Didn't pack liquor. We noticed they weren't asking everyone, just people with lots of luggage or with coolers.

Jun 8th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Anon

http://www.cayman.org/tourism/

Cayman Tourism offices --- you can talk to a live human being about limits, liquor, etc.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 05:16 AM
Erin

We rented a condo and brought tons of food including 3 bottles of wine. They asked us in customs if we had liquor, we said yes, 3 bottles, and the gentleman said no problem. No problem with the food either. However, the grociery store prices are not that much different from the US.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 05:37 AM
Beenthere

Get real. The grocery stores are at least triple what we pay in the US. If your paying $6 for milk, $3 for bread, $12 for Pepsi in the US, I suggest you move.

Jun 22nd, 2001, 07:15 AM
julie

Drama queen. They weren't that high & you know it.

Jun 23rd, 2001, 12:46 PM
Jody

I have to agree - prices are more because everything is shipped in but NOT that outrageous. I've seen some good prices on items. To me, I'm on vacation, and I don't want to carry an extra suitcase with food in it. If I have to go that route, maybe I've chose the wrong destination.

Jun 26th, 2001, 02:22 PM
pal

Taking in your own stuff is great. I had a whole box full of stuff, snacks and everything else. But when it comes to meat, it has to be in its own wrapper, unopened. Bring your own alcohol.

Jun 26th, 2001, 03:34 PM
pal

Come on guys, don't over do it. There were some things that were higher: i.e. Klonkike Ice cream bars were $6.00 but the staples like cheese, eggs, milk, coke, etc. were reasonable. A six pack of coke was on sale for $3.50. Avacado was $1.98 a lb., but I didn't have to have it! Also, things are flown in and you expect that. Potatoe Chips were $5.50 which were expensive that we get in SF for $2.99. . . but hey, you are on vacation, give it a break. If you want cheap, stay home!