Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Small Places In Bermuda? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/small-places-in-bermuda-222715/)

Catherine May 20th, 2002 10:02 AM

Small Places In Bermuda?

Can any of you experts help me please?! My husband and I are going to Bermuda in June and we were told that since we're not bringing kids, a smaller hotel would be nice rather than the Southampton or Hamilton. After reading this board, both have some really mixed reviews anyway.<BR><BR>Can anyone reccommend a good one smaller place? Money is not an issue. We just want to be assured a beautiful place with a great beach, and no bugs in our room!<BR><BR>Thanks so much.

Susan May 20th, 2002 10:11 AM

My friends went to Bermuda for their honeymoon in July and stayed at the Pompano Beach Resort, it looks very charming. Check out the website!

Beth Knobe--Unforgettable Honeymoons May 20th, 2002 10:59 AM

You need to stay at The Reefs...A Beautiful Hotel...Small in size. No children. If I can help further please email me.<BR>Thanks<BR>Beth

Opinion May 20th, 2002 11:29 AM

Cambridge Beaches or Ariel Sands.<BR>But don't be too alarmed if you find the occasional bug-in-a-room. It's the climate for it.

Catherine May 20th, 2002 11:41 AM

I'm LOL at the occassional bug in the room, as the thought of this is inducing stress!<BR><BR>About The Reefs and Pompano... I've heard they're inconvenient since they're "far" from other points of interest in Bermuda? Is that just one person's opinion or is the distance no big deal?

x May 20th, 2002 09:18 PM

If you want beach access then you have to compromise. You won't have downtown Hamilton and "other points of interest" and beach access all at the same time - doesn't exist. What's more important for you ?

Miranda May 21st, 2002 05:36 AM

We stayed at Stonington last July ---very quiet and a very short walk to the beach, as well as a short cab ride to town. No bugs that I saw. I have also heard Cambridge is nice, however I think it is a bit further out.

Tanya May 21st, 2002 09:37 AM

Aerial Sands is quite lovely and has its own private beach. You are a ten minute taxi ride into town and it is directly on the bus route. Also walking distance to the "gardens" and a couple of different restaurants.<BR><BR>Waterloo House in Hamilton is directly on the Harbour, however, they use a private club facilities on the South Road and have a shuttle bus service.<BR><BR>

jc May 24th, 2002 05:25 PM

Been to Bermuda many times, Stonington,the Reefs and Pompano are all lovely. Our favorite is Cambridge Beaches it is outstanding. Although it is farther out on the island, they provide ferry service into Hamilton several days a week and there is a public ferry less than 1 mile from CB. Also, the bus route is just a short walk away.

contessa May 24th, 2002 06:47 PM

The Reefs, hands down! Although Cambridge Beaches ( worth being so far away!), Pompano, Ariel Sands and Stonington are excellent choices....but the Reefs is my favorite.<BR>xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>contessa

Catherine May 27th, 2002 09:49 AM

Thanks for the responses. I tried several of these suggestions but on such short notice, I couldn't get a room for the week I want. I ended up choosing the Royal Palms on the edge of Hamilton. It's not on the beach, but it looks pretty, the rates are good and they had a suite available. Thanks agaiin.

penny May 27th, 2002 10:40 AM

I have never stayed or viewed the rooms at The Royal Palms, but it is in a lovely location. It has a nice restaurant Ascots, I love dining on the porch! NIce spot! Enjoy!

Fred Neumark May 29th, 2002 04:47 PM

Just got back from a 5-day stay at the Royal Palms. A great place with a good location. 10 minute walk to Front Street in Hamilton or to the bus station (get a bus/ferry pass, you'll get to the beach, the Dockyards (by ferry) and to St. George's without problems. Richard & Susan, the owners, are extremely helpful and Ascot's is a terrific restaurant. Enjoy your stay. We did!

Kerri May 29th, 2002 09:52 PM

You'll be glad you chose Royal Palms.<BR>Stayed there last September and <BR>was very satisfied. The owners are<BR>indeed very involved in making sure<BR>everyone is "happy". It's a pleasant few minute walk into downtown Hamilton and a 15 min. bus ride to the beaches.<BR>We'll stay there on our next trip.<BR>Have a wonderful time.

Catherine Jun 2nd, 2002 04:52 PM

Thanks to those who posted about The Royal Palms. It's good not know that you had pleasant experiences there.

Catherine Jun 2nd, 2002 04:54 PM

...uh...make that "Good TO know...." :0