Search

Rincon area

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 05:43 AM
Ed Buturla

Rincon area

Looking for verification that the Rincon area <BR>is a decent vacation spot-snorleing?

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 01:06 PM
Peg

Hi Ed -- we will be staying in the Rincon area soon. Rincon is best known for world-class surfing, and while the beaches are supposed to be good (w/great sunsets!), I hear the waters are too rough there for snorkeling. But, you are a relatively short drive to beaches that ARE known for snorkeling: Boqueron south of Rincon, La Parguera, more on the Caribbean-facing south shore, are supposed to have very good snorkeling. Also read good things about Buye Beach. There should be snorkeling more or less all along the southwest, south, and southeast shores; remember, north shore is Atlantic; south shore is Caribbean. You can also take an excursion to Mona Island from Boqueron area; it's supposed to be very unspoiled with incredible visibility. I doubt we'll make it to Mona, but will at least hit the other two. Also, not near Rincon, but islands of Vieques and Culebra off east coast are supposed to be good too. good luck.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 01:23 PM
peg

Ed--several messages on this site discuss snorkeling on PR... <BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 07:25 AM
Alfred

Hi, <BR> my husband and I were in rincon in December at decameron los cobos.The area is NOT known for its snorkling,in fact it was terrible. This is not the area to go to if thats what you want to do.The last poster mentioned surfing the waves didn't look big enough for that and I saw no one doing it. The sunsets though,are quite beautiful.In all my years of going to rincon I have never heard of anyone going for the snorkeling,most people who go there are looking to see a typical mexican fishing village and experience the "real" mexico rather than the resort thing.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Diane

It's not a very Mexican place, since these posters are talking about Puerto Rico. I highly recommend Buye Beach for snorkeling.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 12:50 PM
Diane

hmm ... thought I added to that: (because this should not seem like I jumped on Mrs. Alfred for a slip of the fingers on the keyboard!) <BR> <BR>I agree Ricon is more typical of a fishing village, or as a get-away for people who live in San Juan. It is quiet and definately NOT the mega-resort atmosphere of San Juan!

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 07:11 AM
Tracy M

I heard from friends of mine that the Rincon area is great for surfing. Aguadilla is also has great surf. <BR> <BR>I myself went to Puerto Rico in December. We stayed on the other side of the island in Fajardo. <BR> <BR>If you are looking for snorkling, this is the area. We went on a day snorkling trip on a Catamaran named the Getaway. We really enjoyed ourselves. I definitely suggest heading to that side of the island for snorkling.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 05:41 PM
John

We took a Windjammer cruise out of Fajardo that stopped in Culebra. What a beautiful little island. It is very quiet, with one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen. And nobody on it. Great snorkeling beaches too.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 07:12 AM
Laura

My husband and I went to Rincon last year and stayed at the Horned Dorset Primavera Hotel. It is a member of the Relais and Chateau group and absolutley fabulous. The people, accomodations, and food were all excellent. A truly magical place on a beautiful island. Have fun!

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 05:09 PM
elaine

Laura, <BR> <BR>My husband and I are strongly considering a stay at Horned Dorset Primavera for Feb./March '01. We are considering 'Mesa Suites'. Can you comment? Also, we may stay 7 nights, is it worth taking the vacation 'package'? <BR>Thanks.