Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Small Luxury All Inclusive (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/small-luxury-all-inclusive-165199/)

helen Feb 25th, 2002 06:22 AM

Small Luxury All Inclusive

We're in the process of planning a vacation and are looking for some help. We would like to find a small, luxury hotel that is all-inclusive. It would be great if it was for adults only. We are mostly interested in having a great beach (for long walks) and excellent food (not buffets!). We're not interested in Mexico, but we're open to any other destination. We're not interested in nightlife. We're just looking for peace and quiet. Any ideas?

Penney Feb 28th, 2002 02:22 AM

I beleive that JAmaica Inn is an all-inclusive - seems to get high ratings. And also, Blue Waters in Antigua.

penny Feb 28th, 2002 03:55 AM

JUmby Bay is wondeful, it is a private island, rooms spaced all over the poperty, plus private homes. Lovely empty beaches, sheep roaming the property, nice food, and the wonderful service.

Karen Feb 28th, 2002 06:20 AM

Biras Creek, Virgin Gorda, BVI's. Small, great beaches, great food, and you can travel around to deserted beaches in the motor boat included in your price. They will pack you a picnic to take along with you. You can also arrange to rent a jeep or go on daily excusions organized by the resort (or do nothing). Don't miss lunch on the beach twice a week. Drinks are not included, but we bought a couple of bottles between flights at the airport in San Juan. There is a fridge in your room that they will stock daily with juice and mixers and they will fill your ice bucket in the afternoon. Their drinks and wines by the bottle are pretty reasonable, as resorts go. We have been to 10 different islands in the Caribbean, and AI's including Sandals, Couples, and Club Med, and there is no comparison based on what you are looking for. Good Luck!

jane Feb 28th, 2002 10:26 AM

I'm with Penney- Jamaica Inn in Ocho Rios sounds just perfect for you. It is old world and very quiet. They have a website you can look at. One note- the evenings are very fancy there with multi course dinners. I believe it includes everything- breakfast/afternoon tea/dinner but not unlimited drinks. Enjoy

Patty Feb 28th, 2002 11:18 AM

The Jamaica Inn is not a true all inclusive, but it is a small luxury property. You can purchase the American Plan which includes all meals (but not drinks). And while it's not a strictly adults only property, I did not see any children while we were there, mostly couples. The service and food are excellent - we loved having breakfast and afternoon tea on our living room sized veranda (get one of the premier rooms perched right over the water). There is a dress code in the evening (I don't know if this is a problem for you) - men are required to wear jackets to dinner during the off season and I believe jacket and tie during high season. The atmosphere is quiet and elegant. There is an instrumental band playing dance music during dinner - not much else in terms of entertainment. The beach is gorgeous but not long - it is a cove type beach which adds to the feeling of privacy.<BR><BR>Peter Island is another option - again not a true all inclusive but rather American Plan. It is a private island resort in the BVI and has about 5 different beaches for you to explore. They will shuttle you back & forth to the different beaches and you can arrange for a picnic basket to be delivered. The food is also excellent but I found the service to be less genuinely friendly and a bit more forced. Never saw any children here either. <BR><BR>At both properties, sail boats, kayaks, and snorkeling gear were included. Peter Island does have more sports facilities like a tennis court and fitness center and the property is more spread out. However I still prefer the overall atmosphere of the Jamaica Inn. Hope this helps.

Patty Feb 28th, 2002 11:34 AM

Forgot to mention, if you don't feel like dressing up one night, you can have dinner served course by course on your veranda at the Jamaica Inn (or any meal for that matter). Lunch can also be brought to your chaise lounge on the beach.

tivertonhouse Feb 28th, 2002 11:35 AM

HELEN:You might enjoy GOLDENEYE, the former Ian Fleming retreat, now owned by Chris Blackwell, in Orcabessa on the North Shore about 30 min.past the thrash of Ocho Rios. Luxe,calme et volupte.<BR>, See IslandResorts Web site for info...Less stuffy, more stylish and considerably more Jamaican than any AI<BR>or hotel on island. Plus, it's a private villa.

helen Mar 1st, 2002 05:06 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. The last time that I was in Jamaica, I was brought on a boat ride by the Jamaica Inn. It did look lovely. I can't remember the beach? How big is it? We really do like having EVERYTHING included. We do tend to drink a lot on vacation, so it makes things a lot easier. We don't mind dressing up, but do prefer to have the option of not dressing up a couple of nights.

penny Mar 1st, 2002 09:43 AM

Helen-Everything is included at Jumby! Drinks, any kind of cocktail, a stocked mini bar with soda, water, wine, beer,rum etc. and decent house wine at lunch and dinner. Bar service on a very empty beach. Breakfast and lunch are very casual, beach coverups etc. There are two casual dinner nights, grill night, and barbeque. Dinner is in a lovely estate house, and is smart casual, no jackets etc. Also a private ferry that takes you to Antigua in 8 minutes! The current manager Rudy worked at the Jamica Inn for many years. That looks nice too!<BR>Good luck!

Patty Mar 2nd, 2002 04:10 PM

Helen,<BR>The beach at the Jamaica Inn is not large but it is fine for the number of guests the property can accomodate and never felt crowded. It is surrounded by rock outcroppings on either side so feels secluded and private. I believe they have pictures on their site. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, they do not offer any plans that include drinks.