Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Small all inclusive (or is there such a thing?) (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/small-all-inclusive-or-is-there-such-a-thing-1003463/)

Gertie Jan 20th, 2014 04:52 PM

Small all inclusive (or is there such a thing?)

Looking for a spring break place for our family of 5 (3 teenagers). Have been to Atlantis and Beaches and had a great time but looking for something new. We love beautiful beaches, oceanfront accommodations, good food(Beaches was a big disappointment in this area), and adventure - boating/sailing, zip lines, parasailing, snorkeling, monkeys, nighttime entertainment, etc. Beaches and Atlantis were both fun but would prefer something smaller. And we loved having most things included. Can anyone help me? Our budget is luxury but not outrageous and the hubby and I would like a room separate from the kids

blamona Jan 20th, 2014 05:36 PM

What is luxury but not outrageous? What time of year? With descriptive words and not budget range, then they're just words. Or assume Stlantis/Beaches prices?

There are smaller AIs, but they're not going to have shows, entertainment, etc. They'll just include food and drinks.

Monkeys and zip lines are not where the best beaches tend to be, so they're are some contradictions. You may have to give up something.

orangetravelcat1 Jan 20th, 2014 06:07 PM

Small AI's that I know of include food and drinks but no nightly entertainment (maybe a local steel band).Not sure what exactly your budget is, but you could look at Bitter End Yacht Club, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands. You could also check out Spice Island Resort, Grenada.

KVR Jan 20th, 2014 06:59 PM

You can find monkeys, zip lines and nice beaches in the Rivera Maya area of Mexico plus some of the best snorkeling trips. The AI resorts there are some of the best.

There are smaller AI's in that area. However, the smaller the resort the less activities and dining choices you will get. However, there is plenty of activities and things to see and do off property that you don't really need the resort to keep you entertained 24/7.

Look at the following resorts and see if they fit your criteria and budget:

Iberostar Paraiso del Mar, Iberostar Paraiso Lindo, Iberostar Paraiso Maya Iberostar Quetzal, Iberostar Paraiso Beach, Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita Riviera Maya, Barcelo Maya Beach & Caribe, Barcelo Maya Colonial & Tropical Beach,
Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe, Generations Maroma and Generations Riviera Maya.

schmerl Jan 21st, 2014 05:07 AM

I think Zoetry would bore your children to pieces. It's even a bit boring for adults.
The IB Paraiso resorts certainly are NOT small, but are wonderful and have loads of activities. Barceló is also a huge resort.
The IB Tucan/Quetzal is a smaller Iberostar resort.

Gertie Jan 21st, 2014 12:07 PM

Thank you all for your helpful comments. Sounds like I should really check into the Mexico AI's. Blamona, I would consider Atlantis and Beaches to be luxury but not outrageous. Fowl Cay in the Bahamas sounds wonderful, but it is outrageous! Also, the time of year is spring break, as I said in my original post, i.e. March/April.