Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Singles in Negril - best hotels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/singles-in-negril-best-hotels-310059/)

HeatherC2005 Feb 23rd, 2008 11:15 AM

Singles in Negril - best hotels?

My friend and I (two women) are looking to go to Negril in the beginning of April 2008. Usually we like AI, near the beach, swim up bar at the pool, and access to partying (we are in our mid-thirties and fun-loving!). can you give recommendations on which hotels might suit us? also, we might be willing to give up on AI if you feel like going out to eat is a better choice in Negril.

ellesvaca Feb 24th, 2008 06:07 PM

Well you might just enjoy Hedo 2 or 3..The ages range from, late 20 to 60's + Everyone has a good time-no pressure..The food and drinks were very good...one of the best vaca's I've had. PS..You don't need to be a swinger to go...One more thing though,,don't go in the hot tub at the nude side, it gets a little gross.

ellejames Feb 25th, 2008 02:35 PM

I just got back from Negril on Feb 16th and we stayed at Beaches (Sandals family resort). Awesome resort but my poor single brother was with us and not a single girl was to be had at that resort.. DON'T stay there if you are looking for some fun with other single people. Great place , just more family oriented.

Couples resort was right beside us and looked nice, but again I guess its probably all couples, LOL!!

Hedonism was way down the beach from us and the young 20 yr olds liked to walk by topless with their 60+ overweight boyfriends (sugar daddy) and we did spot the big cattamaran (sp?) from Hedonism and everyone on that boat was naked, it was funny !

One thing you gotta do is go to RICK's CAFE in Negril. Awesome! Lots of single people there, and there is a pool and the bar is built into the cliff and you can watch cliff divers and live entertainment. They have a free shuttle that will pick you up, DON'T pay the $20 a head like we did from our resort.

Sorry I can't really recommend a good place we didn't drive around that much. Have fun,

Elle

liza Feb 25th, 2008 02:46 PM

I'd check out an AI (if that is what you need) on the main beach like Negril Gardens. It's smaller, less resort-ey, but right in the middle of a lot of off-resort nightlife. It has a garden side and a beach side.

Non-AI, lots of choices. Coco la Palm, Charela, Negril beach Club Condos and Fun Holiday all come to mind as lively spots but still nice...all have pools, bars, restaurants and are somewhat larger than "normal".

There are some killer boutique hotels on the beach like Idle Awhile, Nirvana, Whistling bird, Beach House Villas, Seasplash but most are a bit smaller and perhaps more couples or family oriented.

By the first week of April spring break is pretty much over but there may be stragglers, so be forewarned. Fun Holiday is a big spring break hotel.

Check negrilonestop.com for some ideas and ask about a few that interest you, perhaps?

HeatherC2005 Feb 26th, 2008 06:59 AM

Thank you all so much for the great responses! we are planning to buy this week and i feel a little better about not necessarily going with a large AI.

ellejames -- so are you saying that people go to rick's cafe with bathing suits on to swim in the pool as well? i thought it was just a bar where you watch cliff diving.

laustic Feb 26th, 2008 12:33 PM

You definitely don't have to go AI in Negril. There are a lot of very charming hotels and boutique properties. I have heard that single women may get hassled a little in Jamiaca. Hope I don't get flamed for saying that, but I just thought I'd put it out there for you to consider. I stayed at Idle Awhile last June with my husband and while most of the guests were couples and families there were two groups of singles. One was 3 men and one was 4 women. The women did get approached a lot on the beach, but they never seemed bothered by it. They seemed to be having a great time and went out a lot to the local night club (The Jungle I think?) We also stayed up on the cliffs for three nights at The Caves. It is a much more secluded environment, but a quick cab ride can get you to the city. It is very very luxurious and a good time can definitely be had there. I can't recommend it enough.

ellejames Feb 26th, 2008 02:56 PM

Heather, well the restuarant is really nice upstairs, or you can also dine on the main level patio where the live entertainment is. You can see everything from everywhere. People were in casual attire. If you go at night, dress like you would to go to a restaurant or bar. But during the day and the hot sun, everyone had bathing suits and shorts on. THe pool is small and there are 3-4 cabanas beside it you can rent ($150 for the cabana, bottle of rum, towels, 1 appy) One part of the pool has tables and chairs in it so you can sit there and stay cool I guess. My kids swam in it after it was dark just before we left.

Oh also, you can jump off the cliffs too if you want, lots of people were doing it. But the locals dive off and depend of tips to do it. ONe guy climbs a tree like 50ft off the top of the cliff (which is already 40ft above the water) and he dives off once he has reached $15 US in tips. Crazy man !! I have pictures of this place if you really want to see how amazing it is. Better yet go to his website to see for yourself:

http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/poolnocean.php

any more questions, ask away:)

Elle