Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Single Traveller - Anguilla or Barbados (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/single-traveller-anguilla-or-barbados-730541/)

absolutkz Aug 20th, 2007 04:41 PM

Single Traveller - Anguilla or Barbados

I am planning a trip for myself this early Nov for 7 nights. I have my heart set on Ku Resort in Anguilla, but keep coming back to all the wonderful things that have been said about Barbados. Definitely a beach/pool person, 1 day shopping, and probably would check out some day activites if they were there to do (otherwise I'd be on the beach, the water is too cold in Boston). Love food and while I would check out something on the high end, I prefer the locals type places. A little concerned that Anguilla may be too quiet for 1, especially for a week? Thoughts?

xkenx Aug 20th, 2007 05:22 PM

Beaches on Barbados are nice, but not as expansive as Anguilla, if that is important for you, but you may find more shade on some of the B'dos beaches. Anguilla is for beaches and food. Barbados has a vibrant British-Caribbean culture, with lovely people and lots to see if you want to. Very different islands. See www.barbados.org

absolutkz Aug 21st, 2007 09:41 AM

I know, that's the problem...they are so different. I think the only way to go is Anguilla this year, and Barbados next. Thanks!

beachdreams3 Aug 21st, 2007 09:57 AM

I have been to Barbados solo, and I have considered a solo trip to Anguilla but so far have not done this. I also have traveled alone to St. Lucia and Turks & Caicos. Everyone is different, so I wouldn't make a blanket statement about Anguilla being too quiet for one, but I guess for me, Anguilla seems like someplace that I would enjoy more as a romantic getaway. I have read of other solo travelers going to Anguilla and enjoying it, though, so it really depends on you. If you think that Anguilla will be too quiet for a week (and if you want to have a little time shopping and more activity), you might also consider spending a couple of nights on St. Martin.

MidwestDiver Aug 21st, 2007 01:08 PM

I've been to both and I have to say I LOVE Anguilla. I have not been to Barbados for a few years but my daughter and I went to Anguilla last spring for a college graduation gift and we loved it. We went no.1, for the beaches and no.2, the food. We stayed at the Ku and really liked it except for the fact that this huge bar they have closed too early for us. I would definitely go back to Anguilla. I think Barbados is so crowded and feels very much like you're in Florida. The beaches in Anguilla are some, if not the prettiest I've ever seen and I've been to quite a few caribbean islands. The food is AMAZING! I think you'll love it!

absolutkz Aug 21st, 2007 05:51 PM

MidwestDiver - your post made me laugh, particulary the part about the bar closing too early. I'm from FL originally, so I don't want that. I'm all about the beaches and food. Out of curiousity, did you go to Blanchards? Also, what room did you book at KU? I'm leaning towards the garden view as I've read (despite the early hours) that the bar can be busy, therefore I'm concerned the pool view could be loud (if I'm not contributing to the noise). The oceanfront suites are booked for some of the days.What a great trip with your daughter!

justme22 Aug 22nd, 2007 02:27 PM

although i usually travel solo, my caribbean trips include my childhood friend who runs a hotel at the new jersey shore and she never gets to go to the beach all summer.

now that her kids are grown up enough to be trusted with grandpa, we do girls trips to the caribean.

we went to st. john last year and LOVED it. this year we were debating Barbados, Curacao or Anguilla. we then narrowed to Barbados and Anguilla and then ended up choosing Anguilla, figuring that the beach environment was the main attraction and we could day trip to st. martin if we thought there wasn't enough to do.

I have a feeling that we won't make it to st. martin as we hit the beach 9 to 5 almost every day last year! I have to say that if i was going alone, i think i would still choose Anguilla.

We have a villa between shoal bay east and island harbour the first week of november. can hardly wait!

blamona Aug 22nd, 2007 02:47 PM

I've travelled alone around the world, but went to Barbados with hubby, been to Anguilla by myself, and with family.

I would still choose Anguilla. If you get to bored, you can always take the 20 minute ferry to St. Martin.

absolutkz Aug 22nd, 2007 06:55 PM

Thanks everyone....will be booking this weekend.

Justme22- I'm planning on Nov 4 - 11, with most likely the first 2 nights in St Martin. I can't wait!!!

JoenShell Aug 23rd, 2007 10:33 AM

Hi, Have been to Barbados & Anguilla, just returned this past may from 3 1/2 wks. stay in anguilla was our second visit & would so choose ANGUILLA!!! Heading back to st,john our #1 fave with anguilla next may for fourth stay on that island than back to Anguilla following year! God Willing!!! Good Luck & Have a Great Trip!!!!

MidwestDiver Aug 27th, 2007 02:40 PM

absolutkz, Sorry I did not get back till now. We stayed in an ocean/pool view. I thought it was fine, although lots of people do pass by. We did eat at Blanchards and it was fabulous, very quiet, and VERY $$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!We also LOVED Picante which is run by a young California couple so the feel is very relaxed. Try the lobster enchiladas! The other places we tried and loved were Hibernia, Mango's, Koal Keel, Straw Hat, Johnno's, Pimm's at Cap Juluca, and Tasty's. By the way there was a nice atricle last spring in Bon Appetit magazine on Tasty's and the owner. He came over to our table and sat to talk with us for quite some time, -Great place and VERY low key, unlike some of the others. The only mistake you could make is not going out to eat. They're ALL FAB!

absolutkz Aug 27th, 2007 04:38 PM

That's ok....I literally just booked. Got a good price on airfare (I thought) and ended up booking the ocean/pool view. Blanchards will be my big splurge; thanks for the other recommendations- I'll look for the article on Tasty's.Seems like there's more to try than 5 nights allows. I'm looking forward to Glen's Reggae Bar! Now to the reservation site at Blanchards.....