Similar to PDC and PV

Oct 17th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Similar to PDC and PV

Hi,

I'm looking for a vacation for February and staying in an apartment for about a month. I have done this so far in Puerto Vallarta and Playa del Carmen and had great weather. I loved the fact that I had everything with easy access on foot (beach, wifi, groceries, restaurants, shopping, gym, day trips by public transportation, etc.). Also things in general were not expensive.

Are there Caribbean islands that can offer such an experience? Maybe islands like Guadeloupe or Antigua? There are so many islands and although I don't expect them to be as developed as Mexico, I want to try an interesting new destination that is also easy for self-catering. Of course I want islands that are considered safe although I understand that nothing is perfect including in PDC and PV. Thanks.
Oct 18th, 2018, 04:55 AM

Have you considered San Juan, Puerto Rico?
Oct 18th, 2018, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi.. Isn't Puerto Rico still recovering from last year's hurricane that destroyed most of the island? I read articles that they still are trying to get back on their feet with things like electricity, re-building, basic needs, etc. The same for Saint-Marteen island which would have been another option
Oct 18th, 2018, 08:45 AM

There are still residential areas that are recovering from the hurricane, but the San Juan area is up and running - the shops, restaurants, sights are open, as are most of the hotels. I am not sure what the situation is exactly in the interior sections of the country but I do know that El Yunque (rainforest) is open as is the Bacardi Rum Factory Tour is open.
Oct 19th, 2018, 09:39 AM

Well it's nothing like Puerto Vallarta (where I vacation twice a year, most years) but Negril Jamaica is my favorite from what I've seen of the Caribbean.
Oct 19th, 2018, 01:05 PM

Grand Case in St Martin offered easy access on foot to the beach, restaurants etc but I have no idea how it is after the hurricane last year.Judging by some websites eg restaurants, hotels, some things appear to be back to normal and the beach is much more spectacular than PDC imo. Daytrips are possible to St Barts, Anguilla, Saba (stunningly gorgeous island).
Oct 19th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys!
Oct 27th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

I feel that Puerto Rico and Saint Martin are not back 100% on their feet yet, but they are definitely contenders for the future. But what do you guys think about Guadeloupe cause I see some good plane ticket deals?
Oct 28th, 2018, 03:02 AM

Guadeloupe is one of the best islands in the Caribbean IMO. It's part of France so you get those fab French supermarkets, perfect for self catering. The roads are good, standard of living high for the Caribbean. Has lots to see and do, sights, beaches, culture, rainforests, national park, volcano, great for snorkelling & scuba. Has islands offshore which are reachable by ferry (Marie Galante, Les Saintes). It is two islands joined in the middle, Basse Terre is green, mountainous, has rainforests and Grande Terre is flatter, dry and has stunning beaches. There is alot of self catering accommodation inc gîtes similar to what they have in France. Deshaies is a very nice fishing village, good place to stay., Ste Anne has great beaches.Car rental recommended as it is a large island. BBC series Death in Paradise was filmed there, you can see some episodes/trailers on youtube.

Guadeloupe Antilles Info Tourisme I used this website to help my planning when I went there, I combined a this trip with a stay in Martinique.

Tourists mainly from Canada and Europe (Scandinavians, French etc), not many Americans. Speaking/understanding a little French is necessary although most who work in tourism speak English and there are many workers on the islands from English speaking islands eg St Lucia, Dominica.

It's nothing like PDC or PR.
Oct 28th, 2018, 11:47 AM

" things in general were not expensive. "
I can't think of any place in the Caribbean that can compare in cost to Mexico. Maybe the DR?
Oct 29th, 2018, 03:33 PM

I don't think any small "island economy" can be as inexpensive as a huge country like Mexico.
Oct 30th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Odin! I looked at some travel videos and it looks like an interesting beautiful island with lots to do. The only negative thing I read about is the seaweed situation on the beaches, but I suppose by February it's hard to predict and I'm sure it's not all beaches on the island. Any particular areas have beaches that usually are not affected? And any idea what it would cost to rent a car for a month?

I don't expect any of the destinations to be as cheap as Mexico but I've been to Mexico 3 times (twice PDC and once PV) and as much as I loved each vacation I'm longing for a new experience. lol I'm also considering a place like Bangkok in Thailand so it's really going to depend at what kind of deals I find for an apartment, plane ticket, etc. and basically deciding what kind of vacation I want for this time. But whatever I choose this time, hopefully I will get to visit the other destination next time.
Oct 30th, 2018, 09:54 AM

That's a shame about the seaweed, since you mentioned it, I googled it and can see it has been and is a problem for several islands over the years, not just Guadeloupe. I also found a website where updates are given on the situation in Guadeloupe but there is no way to know how it will be in Feb.

Bulletins ou synthèses hebdomadaires 2018 - DEAL Guadeloupe

Since you mentioned Bangkok, I wonder if Hua Hin might be of interest. Its about 2.5-3 hours by bus from BKK, it's a town/city on the coast with a beach, plenty of street food, nightlife, have been twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sea was not great for swimming, in fact they had jellyfish but I would still recommend it if you are seeking the PDC type town with easy access to everything. BKK is very hot and humid, being by the coast was a welcome relief.
Oct 30th, 2018, 10:54 AM

I don't think Bangkok is anything like Puerto Vallarta???? Not that they aren't both great but... just wondering the connection (per the title of your post).
Oct 30th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Odin for the info. Suze, you're right that it has nothing to do with my initial post. I guess at this point I'm just looking for somewhere with hot weather in February, I posted in South America, Caribbean and Asia forums. Although the beach would be a nice bonus, at this point if it's a big cosmopolitan city with lots of things to visit then I'd settle for an apartment with a pool. lol But since this thread was posted in the Caribbean section, I knew that my best bet would be more a town that is beachfront kind of like PV or PDC, since most Caribbean islands aren't huge and the beach would be an important bonus.
Oct 31st, 2018, 11:22 AM

Oh sure, thanks, & appreciate the explanation. I had not seen your other posts, I'm not on those forums.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO