Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Silmaril at Peter Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/silmaril-at-peter-island-275149/)

Doc Nov 22nd, 2002 08:01 AM

Silmaril at Peter Island

Planning a trip to PI in the spring with wife of 10yrs. We're early 30s, not really interested in noise, bars, etc (enough of that back home). Peace. Quiet. Solitude. That's what I'm seeking. PI seems to have plenty of all the above with one of the best properties I've found (maybe next to CapJ, but very different). To my question, has anyone taken the daysail or overnight trip on the 'Silmaril' cutter anchored at PI. Would love feedback on that or PI comments in general. Any recent visitors within the last month or so? (thanks for the other posts guys). Also, other than drinks and picnic lunches, excursions, etc, what is not covered in the PI daily rate? Thanks!

xxx Nov 22nd, 2002 01:24 PM

ttt

hty Nov 25th, 2002 05:20 AM

ARRR..MATEE

Bill Nov 25th, 2002 10:25 AM

My fiancee just returned from Peter Island on Friday. It is a fabulous resort, and I highly recommend it. Everything is covered except drinks. Additional gratuity for exceptional service is encouraged, but not required. The food, service, beaches, etc. are all exceptional. Absolutely no complaints. If you have any other specific questions please feel free to ask.

Doc Nov 25th, 2002 01:45 PM

Thanks, Bill. Did you ferry over from Tortola? Also, we have small children at home and are wondering if there are phones in the rooms. Did you stay in a suite or beachview room? Anything you would do differently prior to going? Appreciate your advice!

ScubaMom Dec 7th, 2002 05:17 AM

We've taken a day trip on Silmaril - Paul and Judy are really fun and know every nook and cranny of the BVI. You can read about it at http://www.scubamom.com/bvi/daysail/<BR><BR>They book up early, so if you want to go on a day sail or overnighter, contact them early!

Steve Dec 17th, 2002 10:22 AM

Doc, <BR><BR>Just got back last night from a wonderful 10 night trip to PIR. As Bill said, it is fabulous. We were looking for the same peace and quiet as you are and it was there. We've done Bitter End for the past 6 years and PIR is better in all respects except they don't have as many boats (or different varieties) for you to use and they charge for their off-island excursions (We never left the island). <BR><BR>Food was very good. The beachfront suite was wonderful. Staff is great and very acccomodating. There are phones in each room with a voice mail system. They send a boat to meet you at Trellis Bay (after you've been met by someone at the airport and taxied over to the dock). Both boats that we were on were very nice and comfortable with complimentary beverages (beer &amp; soda) on the way over.) <BR><BR>We only saw Silmaril out twice during the entire stay. We were going to inquire about a sunset sail with them but just never got around to it. We'll save that for the next visit.<BR><BR>The only thing we would do differently next time is to stay longer!<BR><BR>Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

B Dec 21st, 2002 05:47 AM

Doc,<BR><BR>I knew I shouldn't have ventured out to this site. I'm jealous. My wife and I just celebrated our 1yr anniv. We went to Peter Island on our Honeymoon and are now spoiled. We LOVED PI. <BR><BR>Everything is covered except the items that you mentioned. The staff is wonderful. While we didn't go out on the Silmaril another couple we met did and seemed to really enjoy it.<BR><BR>One reccomendation I have is to take the Island tour as soon as you get there. (My wife made me), and am glad she did. It will give you a good lay out of the Island.<BR><BR>If your drinkers I would suggest bringing a bottle of wine or two, or whatever you like. We stopped at duty free on the way. We enjoyed having a drink on our balcony before dinner. Or after to keep the mood going.<BR><BR>Have fun!

satoru Jan 18th, 2003 08:58 PM

For those of you who've been to Peter Island Resort, please tell me how the snorkeling is by comparison to other places you've been (i.e. amount/type of fish, live coral, water clarity, access from beach, etc.) Please provide details!!!!!<BR><BR>Satoru