Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > Sick of winter. Help plan a quick beach getaway from Chicago
Notices

Sick of winter. Help plan a quick beach getaway from Chicago

Feb 15th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Sick of winter. Help plan a quick beach getaway from Chicago

I know I am probably asking an impossibly vague general question, but you never know, right? After this wonderful winter we've had in Chicago, I am trying to think of a quick, convenient, warm place to go for a long weekend to celebrate my son's college graduation in early May. My other son can only take off a couple of days from work so I'm trying to find a place that ideally has a direct flight from Chicago and is fairly hassle-free once we arrive. A beautiful beach would be top priority plus activities for a pretty adventurous group who probably won't be happy with just laying on a beach. I'd love to go somewhere that isn't overcrowded with tourists. Maybe an all-inclusive? We've never done anything like that. I get seasick on cruises so that's out. Snorkeling would be great. The Caribbean? Florida or anywhere else in the southern U.S. I will post this on the Caribbean boards also.
Any and all recommendations appreciated!
Laurie
Feb 15th, 2014, 04:25 PM

american or air tran will both fly you nonstop from chi to cancun. from there you have a plethora of resorts and all inclusives. there is tons to do in the area (atv jungle rides, horseback on the beach, ruins to tour, fun duty free shopping in playa del carmen, zip lines, scuba/snorkel, kayaking in the sian ka'an biosphere, fishing & 2 very cool eco marine parks -xcaret & xel-ha). the ai's have nightclubs so if the boys want to party they don't have to leave the resort.
as you wish to go soon, i'd email locogringo.com with your price range and wishes re resort & they'll let you know what's still available for your dates.
resort vans will come to the airport to get you or private transport is available.
Feb 15th, 2014, 06:39 PM

If Cancun is not your cuppa tea..don't discount an easy connection to a different Caribbean island..So many to choose..
Feb 16th, 2014, 04:53 AM

You can also check with www.applevacations. They use to run quite a few specials on All-inclusive places. I would ideally pick the Maya Riviera area in Mexico. Dominican republic will offer plenty of options but I am not fan of that place. I do like Mexico. From Chicago I would think non stop flights would be plentiful. In May prices will also drop from winter rates.

Search this Thread