Sick-Free Vacation in the Caribbean?

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 05:53 PM
Kathy

Sick-Free Vacation in the Caribbean?

I have heard numurous accounts of people getting sick from contaminated water/food in the Caribbean, even at upscale resorts. Which island is the "safest" bet in this regard?

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 06:44 PM
BillK

St Barths, St Maarten/St Martin, Barbados, Aruba, Curacao, St Lucia, Anguilla, Martinique, Turks & Caicos, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Guadeloupe, Antigua, St Croix, St John, St Thomas, Tortolla, Virgin Gorda, Grenada, St Vincent, Saba, Eustacia, Iles des Saintes, Nevis, St Kits are all fine. Avoid Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Mexico city, Cozumel and The Dominicon Republic.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 02:27 AM
Bill

I've been going to St. Kitts for 14 years and never heard of anybody getting sick. A friend of mine came back from Cancun 3 days ago and 4 people in there group got sick and they were in an upscale resort.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 08:34 AM
karen

Think it would have been easier for BiilK to list just the ones that didn't have a problem 'cause he missed a few that didn't have problems ... actually few islands now have problems associcted with "contaminated" water or food. Even in Mexico on the Mayan Riviera last year, with my tender tum, I had absolutely no problem - but I did stick to bottled water there for everything including brushing teeth and rinsing out cups/glasses! Islands that use principally cistern water especially where villa rentals are so popular, you might want to use caution. I often wonder if the "food incidents" are related to the food/water or to the overindulgence of spirits and partying. But I avoid all buffets like the plague too!!

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 12:55 PM
Paula

What is the name of the'upscale resort'
in Cancun where they got sick? Marriott?
Ritz? We will be going there soon & I may want to follow up on this & get more info.
Thx!

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 07:06 PM
gary

Even though travel sickness can happen to anyone anywhere, I've found that people most worried about illness were much more susceptible to becoming victim to it. Your attitude is your altitude!

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 08:44 AM
debbie

Gary, everyone should live by your words! My in-laws just came back from a 4 week trip through Africa and area. He picked up a bug and was laid out with the flu upon his return. Every day in North America there is someone out there with a bout of food poisoning from food handled by someone who has not washed their hands after going to the washroom. In Walkerton, Canada several people died and several more got extremely sick from contaminated well water, so there is no place "safe" and if "safe from sickness" is your main criteria for travelling then don't.

I agree with Karen when she says that sometimes all these ailments are from overindulgence - not only in spirits but in rich food, creamy drinks and too much sun!

We've been 3 times to the Mayan Riveria and Cozumel and never had a problem that would put us off in travelling back to this area. Yes, he got a cold once (from the people on the plane sneezing over fellow passengers!) and we both get the occasional bit of runs and it can only be from the overindulgence of too much good food and fruity frothy drinks. Rule number 1 is to never travel without a bottle of Kaopectate! It can happen anywhere and anytime - but even more so if you're eating from roadside stands, not washing your own hands after going to the bathroom or before eating, and the list can go on.

Kathy - just go forth and travel, eat, drink and be merry. And carry Kaopectate!

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 05:37 AM
Bill

Paula, It was the Sun Palace as well as the Moon palace. He said that they are both of the same chain. The pool-side grills and dinners were terrible. The steaks and burgers that were cooked in the half barrel type grill were not fit to eat. After a few got sick, they ate in town and the food was much better.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 08:21 AM
jbrooks

Another reason many people get upset stomachs and the awful "runs" is because they go from a low-fruit diet to eating fruit all day long in the caribbean...if your stomach isn't used to that much fruit all that acid can make people feel bad...plus the drinking, food, sun, etc. We just got back from the BVI and had excellent food, drank from the tap (which I wouldn't do some places) and never had a single problem at all! You can help by trying to eat a can of fruit per day for a couple of weeks before going.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 02:34 PM
Randy

I would take exception to the comments above re: Sun and Moon Palace. I have stayed at both, most recently in April at the Sun. Also dined at the Moon and the Cancun Palace during this trip. We ate at both buffets and regular sit-down and did not have any kind of problem. My wife is a particularly delicate person when it comes to "foreign" water, etc., but nothing at these resorts or anywhere in Cancun gave her problems.

On a related note, Aruba has the second largest de-salinization plant in the world (after Saudi Arabia) and as a result produces VERY clean tap water. When we are there, the ice cubes that we freeze in our condo come out crystal clear.

True you can get sick eating at a restaurant at home, but I've never had a problem in Aruba.

Go, be smart and have a good time!