Should we rent a car in St. John?

Oct 27th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Should we rent a car in St. John?

We have a baby and are staying at Lavender Hill Suite for 3 days. I am wondering if we should rent a car when we are in St. John? If we do, should we rent a car from St. Thomas since we have car seat, stroller and luggages?

Thanks
Oct 27th, 2006, 07:57 PM

since you'll be on island only 3 days i would consider renting a car for at least one day. this way you can tour st. john at your lesiure w/o dealing w/ a taxi, since traveling w/baby can be a challenge ! i guess it all depends on what you plan on doing for your stay. if you want to go to a beach daily a 3 day rental..imo... is a must. with such a young child you want to be able to come/go when needed. waiting for a taxi with a tired baby..well..i don't have to tell you !! it might be in your best interest with all your "luggage" to rent in st. thomas. otherwise you're schlepping everything from airport/taxi/ferry/car rental/lavender hill...i'm exhausted already ...LOL..!!!
Oct 29th, 2006, 06:24 AM

Well, the good news is Lavender Hill is on the edge of Cruz Bay, you can basically walk there from the ferry. We rent a car from the airport in St. Thomas and go over and return on the car ferry, but that's easy only because we know what we're doing and how to do it. It may still be something you would like to do considering the cost for the car ferry is about $50 roundtrip incl. people on the car, and the taxi charges for people and each piece of luggage and the cost comes out to be a bit more. For someone who's never been here before, it may be easiest just to take a taxi to the passenger ferry, and a taxi up to Lavender Hill on arrival so you can disembark your luggage. You can stroll around with the baby on the first day and last day, taking taxis if you have time to go to any place further out of town. I would definitely recommend renting a car for at least one day and exploring more of the island. It's only about a half hour to drive the island from one end to the other, and it is definitely worth doing IMO. I would do some research to pick out some spots you'd really like to see. Have a blast. IMO, you should do what you think will maximize your enjoyment.
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Here is what I am thinking....

Please advise if this is a good idea...

We will take a sea plane from STX to STT. From the ferry dock, we will go to the airport to pick a rental car. Then take the car ferry to STJ.

I am thinking if our luggage get delayed, it would be nice to have a car to drive around in STT. And we gonna fly out of STT anyway and our flight is in the late afternoon, maybe we can also explore STT a little in the rental car on the last day.
Oct 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Just so you know....the ferry dock in TOWN(where you'll probably come in) and the CAR ferry dock (Red Hook) are 2 different places. AND the airport and Red Hook are in 2 different directions....That being said you'll backtrack a little bit but it should work just fine....
And FYI,after you get to STJ, you'll probably forget about leaving early in the day to explore STT. Enjoy
Oct 30th, 2006, 12:18 PM

There is an Avis desk at the Seaborne terminal in STT. No need to go to the airport. There is plenty to do on that last day in STT. Not to worry or be swayed.

RL
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:27 PM

I agree Ron there is plenty to do on STT.......but to those of us who's time is so limited.....one hour on STT is one less hour on STJ.
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Ah yes, but there are things in St Thomas that are just as good as St John. Why restrict yourself?

RL
Oct 30th, 2006, 02:10 PM

the car ferry is expensive and tricky. We bought a round trip last time and coming back didn't get with the same company (there are several), so we had to pay again. couldnt wait or we would have missed our plane. I would take a cab from the airport to the ferry dock and rent your car in St. J. then you wont have to worry about directioins, etc.
Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:16 AM

As Tewels mentioned, the car ferry could get a bit complicated, and since you're coming into Red Hook, it is a real hassle to go all the way out the the airport and back. It is about 30 minutes each way. One thing you could do is to rent from Avis at the Seaborne terminal and simply arrange to return the car to their airport branch. There may be a small fee attached to doing it that way, but you can certainly find out the particulars ahead of time. Since you will already be in Redhook, this makes the whole car ferry thing much simpler. I'm sure the Avis folks will be able to give you information about ferry location and times. If your luggage is delayed, there is also plenty to do in Red Hook all within walking distance to pass a little time. If you carry your essentials with you, even if the luggage doesn't catch up to you until the next day, it won't matter too much. I would definitely bring your cellphone with you so the airlines or whoever can stay in contact with you. Most cellphone carriers work in Cruz Bay. Please let us know what you find out and what you decide on.
Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:18 AM

I forgot to mention, you should buy a one-way car ferry ticket. It is cheaper to buy round-trip, but if you are not certain when and which ferry you will be using, then I would just buy as you go. The savings is only about $5 anyway.