Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Should we go to the Jamaica Inn, Couples San Souci, or elsewhere? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/should-we-go-to-the-jamaica-inn-couples-san-souci-or-elsewhere-861007/)

2bamafan Sep 27th, 2010 05:12 PM

Should we go to the Jamaica Inn, Couples San Souci, or elsewhere?

I want to take my wife on a romantic beach trip for her 40th birthday. Which do you think would be more desirable ... the Jamaica Inn or Couples San Souci? Currently, cheapcaribbean.com is offering a special that would make Couples San Souci approx 35% less expensive than going to the Jamaica Inn, but my foremost concern is finding a very special place in a beautiful setting. If you have another recommendation in Jamaica (or on another island), please advise as well. Thanks so much.

xkenx Sep 28th, 2010 02:58 AM

Take a look at Jamaica Inn on www.tripadvisor.com I've never seen such uniformly rave reviews about a resort. And there are many photos posted. You'll get a feeling for whether this might be right for you.

Jamaica101 Sep 28th, 2010 05:49 AM

4 Years ago I was apprehensive about going to Jamaica but my wife convinced me to try it out. Since then we have been to Couples Tower Isle 2 times, San Souci once and have another trip planned to Tower Isle this November. I cannot comment on the Jamaica Inn but I will tell you that we have NEVER been disappointed with a visit to a Couples resort. First Class food and staff the entire trip!! Very romantic and relaxing and entertaining. "Once you go, you know" - No Joke.

MAS_Getaways Sep 28th, 2010 06:24 AM

Couples San Suci is fabulous! But I also agree that Tower Isle is great too, especially after the total renovation!!! You really can't go wrong with Couples! I also love the added extra's you get with Couples. I'd be happy to work with you and help you decided, what's great about Couple's is every Wednesday they run great 24 hour sales!

marnies Sep 28th, 2010 08:10 AM

I agree, Couples Sans Souci is wonderful! Very romantic and the most beautiful grounds of any of the Couples resorts. Have you looked at the Couples Website yet? If not, please look at the pictures and the maps and panoramic views! For even more pictures, try Ochoriosonestop.com.

suzski Oct 4th, 2010 06:35 AM

I have not stayed at the Jamaica Inn, but have stayed at Couples Tower Isle, Couples Negril, Sandals Whitehouse and Beaches Negril in Jamaica. We LOVED our stays at Couples...very romantic, fantastic food and service, you name it! As marnies posted, you should definitely look at the Couples website where there is a very active forum for questions and comments.

vickiebypass Oct 8th, 2010 06:47 AM

I stayed at Jamaica Inn last year and the only reason I wouldn't return is that their beach is very small, so that walking the length of takes about 6 minutes. The rooms are very nice (many with original marble or tiled floors; gorgeous porches w/sofa, table, desk & chairs overlooking the beach; food and service was excellent; lunch on the beach; complimentary rum punch delivered to your beach chair every afternoon; and a weekly "manager's cocktail party". Other guests were very pleasant and enjoyed civilized chatting, playing cards, etc.

The beach is curved, with nice rocky, tree'd points at both ends that prevent walking beyond the Jamaica Inn property. Water is clean, beach is raked and attended; but, I like long walks along the beach and, truly, I (and many other guests) ended up doing laps back and forth.

So, very nice, very civilized resort, low key but if beaches are a focal point for you, perhaps the other resorts would be a better fit.

pwj155 Oct 19th, 2010 06:34 PM

we've been to couples ocho, san souci and swept away. we think swept away is by far the best and it is on 7 mile beach.

bwtruffer May 26th, 2013 12:18 PM

Can someone describe the dress code at the Jamaica Inn? Is it on the dressy side for women or resort casual?