Notices

Short trip to Curacao

Jul 27th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Short trip to Curacao

Hello,
I am going back to Aruba in October and decided to extend my trip and add on a 2 day/2 night stopover in Curacao. We've never been there but hear that the town is very lovely and the beaches are great. I am considering staying in the town (Willemstad) and renting a car..not as interested in staying in a resort property because we're already doing that for a week in Aruba. Any suggestions and what to do in Curacao for 2 days? Sights? Off-the-beaten-path? Most beautiful beach?
Thank you..

Sergey
Jul 27th, 2008, 09:59 AM

If you are renting a car you do not have to stay in town. You have a number of hotels within 5 miles of the city as well as restaurants maybe in town or also within 5-7 miles. While Cruba has no decent snorkeling Curacao has very good snorkeling on the WEST END of the island in a seies if 6-7 bays that are a 35-40 drive from downtown. Along the boulders forming the bays you will really enjoy the under sea life and the the beaches will be quiet especially mid-week. But like Aruba in Oct. it is windy 15-18 mph or so is not unusual. The snorkeling starts with a bay in Klein Knip and there is a fellow Captain Good Life, a real character, at beach #1 Santa Cruz. He will if you want take you out to some places not accessible from the beaches. He charged $15 in earlt 2007 so may be $20 now will gas costs and the USD down. You get to do to 3-4 places over 2 hours. We went to WEST END 3 times on 1 of our 3 visits.The oldest Jewish temple in the Western Hemisphere is an interesting visit with the original sand floors and is still in use.My wife liked the ostrich farm though I would say it was o.k. There are 6-7 good to excellent restaurants but the good food is $50-$70/person for 3 couses with wine and tip.
I would rate the beaches as good but from a visit to Aruba 10 years ago the beaches there were as nice but way too crowded. I cannot imagine what they are like now. At least in Curacao you will find few crowds. I must admit Willemstad is quaint but is only worth 3 hours is is not really a shoppers paradise as it was 10 years ago.But the the buildings are very interesting to see that were build 80-100 years ago.
Jul 27th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Porto Marie and Cas Abao were great beaches we visited in May. Porto Marie has an awesome restaurant.

Have fun. I'm jealous.

Peace, Greenie

Search this Thread