Search

Westin Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Mike

Westin Puerto Rico

Are there any restaurants or shops within walking distance of the Westin Rio Mar in Puerto Rico?

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 12:27 PM
escarabajo30

Inside the hotel you can find 3 restaurants(asian, varied restaurant, and another), and like 2 or 3 stores, don't remember that good(they have the usual suvenir shop, jewelry shop). <BR> <BR>Are there any restaurant or shops outside the hotel from walking distance??? NO. Westin Rio Mar is pretty away from a big town, The nearest city most be Fajardo, which is about a 30 mins ride from Rio Mar. <BR> <BR>Well you can always eat in local restaurants, you can always find them near the coats of all Puerto Rico, but I guess the nearest retaurant must be in about 20 minutes from car...

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Mike! Escarabajo30 is right, the Westin is a large and self-contained resort. There's really nothing nearby that you could walk to and eat and shop. The Westin itself has many restaurants, I think about 5, plus a snack bar at the beach. I didn't care much for their buffet restaurant, Marbella, in the evenings, but the Italian restaurant is excellent. <BR> <BR>If you want to do some sightseeing, eat local food and do some shopping, your best is to rent a car. Within 30 minutes of the Westin you will be able to find the rainforest and the fishing village of Las Croabas in Fajardo (not far from El Conquistador). 45 minutes from the Westin is Old San Juan, which is very pretty, has some great shooping, and many restaurants and cafes. Good luck!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Mike

Thanks for your responses!

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Lorraine

When are you going? Would love to hear your comments when you get back. my family and I are planning a trip there.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:50 PM
Maureen

Just visited the Rio Mar in June. What everyone else has said is absolutely correct. Eat at the resort - the italian and the tex-mex resaurants where the best. Also, we went to Old San Juan and ate at the Parrott Club which was excellent. Ask the very knowledgeable bellhops and of course, the concierge. About the resort, I had read mixed reviews in this forum, but am happy to report the resort was beautiful (especially enjoyed the quiet pool with having left 4 kids at home)and the service probably the best we have ever had (tying with the Homestead in VA). I was a little disappointed in the beach but after spending time at St. Johns, no caribbean island can beat the beauty of St. Johns.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Mike

I submitted the original question and we are back from our trip. All of the above comments are true. I found the beach to be more like Hawaii with some waves (3-5 ft), but not much for snorkeling (at the hotel) Daily Iguana feedings, there were fireworks Sat night (not sure if this is normal or not?) We stayed on the hotel property except for a day trip to San Juan + Bacardi distillery tour