Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Shade on Anguilla beaches? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/shade-on-anguilla-beaches-257273/)

Mahlia Sep 12th, 2002 05:08 AM

Shade on Anguilla beaches?

We are counting the days 'til our Anguilla holiday. Looking forward to long, lazy days at one of the beautiful beaches there.<BR><BR>Husband does need some relief from the sun every now and then. Do any Anguillan beaches have shady spots?<BR><BR>Any recommends for shell seekers?<BR><BR>Are all of the beaches open for public use? IOW, can we just stroll onto the beach at Cap Juluca??<BR><BR>Thanks for your advice!<BR><BR>Mahlia

Nancy Sep 12th, 2002 05:25 AM

Hello,<BR>There are a couple of places on Shoal Bay where you can sit in shade to have lunch, and there are two beach bar/restaurants with shade to sit in and have a cool drink. I think one is Ernie's (?) where they rent chairs and umbrellas and there is shade close to the beach. <BR>All of the beaches in Anguilla are public, but the resort's facilities (chairs, etc.) are of course for guests only.

Nancy Sep 12th, 2002 05:44 AM

Mahlia,<BR><BR>You can rent chairs and umbrellas from the Pressure King (he's at Uncle Ernies) or Raymond at Shoal Bay Beach. I think it's $4 for chairs and $4 for an umbrella. The beach where Smitty's beach grill is has lots of tables, chairs and umbrellas. You can stoll onto the beach at Cap Juluca, but the chairs and umbrellas are for guests only. However, when we were there there were lots of unused chairs and umbrellas, especially at the east end. There are also lots of palm trees at the east end near the water sports that provide shade. Go to beaches.ai for a full description of all Angulla beaches. Have a wonderful time!

penny Sep 12th, 2002 06:54 AM

No problem finding shade on Anguilla. Most of the beach bars supply them to their guests, Barrel Stay on Sandy Ground, Smokeys at Cove Bay, Trattoria on Shoal Bay West. Yes, all the beaches are open to the public. You can use CJ's beach, but the chairs are for guests only, empty or not, and the staff will tell you. Many non guests stroll the beach and use it! It is a lovely spot. I did notice that CJ now has signs at each end of the beach, taht chairs etc. are for hotel quests only. The fun of the island is exploring and being able to use all its beaches! They are beautiful!

O.T. Sep 12th, 2002 07:58 AM

I am like your husband and we always bring an umbrella (or two) with us from home. That way we can explore the more secluded beaches i.e. Little Bay. We also like to have picnics at Barnes and Meads Bay where there are no beach chair hire.<BR>Sometime ago I read on news.ai about an Anguillian company where you can rent umbrellas, chairs and coolers. Can't remember the name, but it may be worth it to do a search on google.

Barb Sep 14th, 2002 01:21 PM

You can also buy an inexpensive umbrella at the Anguilla Drugstore in the Valley. The one we bought several years ago is still in the closet of the apartment that we rent, so we use it every time we go down! It cost about 25 US, but when compared to the daily rental fee charged at any of the places on Shoal Bay or Junk's Hole, it's a huge bargain. And you'll always have shade in the trunk!