Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   September honeymoon... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/september-honeymoon-394246/)

celesterl Feb 1st, 2004 04:04 PM

September honeymoon...

I am trying to plan a 2 week honeymoon in mid September and was thinking of a week in Barbados and one in St. Lucia. I was hoping they were both far south enough to have good weather... does anyone know the general weather conditions in September for Barbados or St. Lucia? Thanks for your help...

travleis Feb 1st, 2004 07:30 PM

Don't forget to consider that the peak of hurricane season is the last 2 weeks of September.

island_babe Feb 1st, 2004 08:08 PM

I am in the same boat as you celesterl! I am also honeymooning in September,as well. So far everyone keeps telling us we should go to Aruba, but I am also looking into going back to Grenada as a possible option, with Barbados being a third option.

We went to St. Lucia last November, and while it did not rain all the time we were there (It rained once, for about an hour one afternoon)we had just missed a big storm with lots of rain the week before.

At this point, we really are leaning towards Aruba since neither of us have been there and it is guaranteed "good weather" in September. But, I have read so many anti Aruba reviews that it is discouraging.

Good luck !

Carola22 Feb 1st, 2004 11:20 PM

Don't be too much put of by the 'anti-Aruba' reviews! We like it a lot, about to go back for the 7th time. Sure, Aruba is very touristy and 'Americanized'. It is also safe, friendly people and the best climate (I think) in the Caribbean. There are some wonderful hotels such as the Bucuti: very quiet and on a huge stretch of beach. Many nice places to eat. It all depends on what you want - for us the main factors are the wonderful climate, nice people and beautiful beaches.

meta Feb 2nd, 2004 05:18 AM

Have you considered Hawaii. 2 weeks is more than enough time.

nfahey Feb 2nd, 2004 05:26 AM

I honeymooned in Aruba in Sept '01 and we loved it so much we returned in July '03. What we loved most about the island was the beautiful beaches, the friendly people and the safe feeling we got no matter where we went. We prefer Palm Beach in the high rise section, but everybody has their own opinion. I'd reconsider it if I was you, the weather is very predictable and in Sept in the caribbean that's a good thing.

Congrats and good luck! Let us know what you decide.

celesterl Feb 2nd, 2004 05:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have considered both Hawaii and Aruba, and although I am sure both places would guarantee good weather and a great time... I just feel like they are both such 'typical' honeymoon destinations that I long to do something a little different. I realize it is the height of hurricane seaon, but was hoping that there might be a reasonable good chance for sunny weather most of the time... Not sure though...

margotdelph Feb 3rd, 2004 04:39 AM

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in Grenada. Beautiful island and wonderful people.

We stayed at Bel Air Plantation, which is a newly opened villa resort. I was a bit hesitant to book since it is new but now I can't say enough about the place. It was exactly what we hoped it would be. Small and intimate in a spectacular setting. Our villa was just picture perfect and very private. They also have a restaurant (excellent food and set on the water), grocery and gift shop and lovely pool (on the hillside with very pretty views).

There is a marina nearby and I was chatting with the owner who told me that he gets lots of business due to the fact that Grenada is below the hurricane belt. I would guess this means that the weather is good in Grenada during hurricane season.

Grenada is not at all touristy and the people are very friendly. If you are looking for something different I would go to this beautiful island.

travleis Feb 3rd, 2004 06:59 AM

Grenada is indeed low on the hurricane risk list. It's been hit by 12 hurricanes and named storms in the past 60 years, but only 2 category 3-5 hurricanes.

floridabound Feb 3rd, 2004 07:42 AM

What are the beaches like in Grenada,i.e. do they have crystal clear water like St. John, USVI. Looking for a similar island to St. John.

We just want to try somewhere different but will always still go back to St. John every other year.

tanda Feb 3rd, 2004 10:50 AM

i am honeymooning in september as well. due to my preference for the caribbean and hurricane concerns my choices are down to curacao and grenada. i have done extensive research, but would like some information from travelers like myself. can anyone give me some feedback about the pros and cons of these two islands.

Callaloo Feb 3rd, 2004 11:08 AM

Grenada has a wide variety of beaches -- part of its charm. If you want pale sand and crystal clear waters, there is Grand Anse, which is where many of the island's hotels (none taller than a palm tree) are located. Grand Anse's 2-mile length makes it likely that you will find a spot of your own.

For a somewhat cozier and more secluded spot, the next beach south is Morne Rouge. I prefer it to Grand Anse for those reasons; plus it also has a lot more shade.

Another favorite is La Sagesse, which has light grey (volcanic) sand and faces the Atlantic, so there may be some surf depending on conditions. It's bordered by a large grove of palm trees and has a freshwater creek emptying into it. With it's green-tinged waters, La Sagesse has a South Pacific feel to it.

And there are others as well. If you are looking for beaches, Grenada's got plenty from which to choose.

celesterl Mar 15th, 2004 07:23 PM

I am still really interested in Barbados and St. Lucia. Does anyone have any good hotel suggestions for either -- particuraly Barbados? Something not TOO secluded... but not totally over-populated. We would like to be at a place that has some live entertainment or fun going on.

Lizzie518 Mar 16th, 2004 04:33 AM

We spent the last week of September 2003 in Barbados and had lovely weather. A few afternoons it got cloudy and sputtered a bit only to clear up in a couple of hours. To be honest, I wasn't overly concerned with the hurricanes in Barabdos. Having travelled to the Caribbean during hurricane season almost every year in the past 11 years, I have only had to be diverted once (1994 Hurricane Luis). Perhaps I've just been lucky. My travel agent at that time was very much on top of it and rescheduled us almost immediately. Vacation results: same week, different island.

If you do go to Barbados I would consider the West Coast. Nice beaches and great dining options. The South Coast has a little more going on, but you can always take a cab, rent a car, etc. We stayed at the House at Tamarind. We very much enjoyed our stay there, although it might not be for everyone. Sandy Lane is gorgeous and would be quite a treat for a honeymoon.

KarenM Mar 16th, 2004 04:55 AM

Here's a couple of maps of Barbados that might help:

http://barbados2000.com/map.html
http://www.ehi.com/travel/carib/barbados/hot_map1.html

Some reviews:

http://www.caribline.com/hotelreviews/br/

The mid to northwest coast had the nicest beaches. Royal Pavilion, Glitter Bay and Sand Lane were very nice.

meta Mar 16th, 2004 05:22 AM

Hawaii is a popular honeymoon destination, but it is wonderful. Also, one really needs 2 weeks there, so consider how often you'll be able to take that amount of time off. We went there for our honeymoon and loved it. (Maui and Kaui)

We've always planned on going back, but unfortunately my husband can never take more than a week at a time. Plus, it's a long plane ride from the east coast.