Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Seeking white sand beach, snorkeling and more (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/seeking-white-sand-beach-snorkeling-and-more-157665/)

Anne Jan 10th, 2003 12:47 PM

Seeking white sand beach, snorkeling and more

What are your top picks for a Caribbean destination with the following? (Cayman Is.?)<BR>-coral white sand, plush, beautiful beach<BR>-crystal water for excellent swimming &amp; snorkeling<BR>-kayaking and hiking excursions<BR>-quaint shopping<BR>-considerably safe<BR>-any hotel recommendations (mid-range cost,possibly all inclusive)?<BR>Thank you! -Anne

bvi bound Jan 10th, 2003 12:53 PM

Tortolla

Anne Jan 10th, 2003 12:58 PM

Where's Tortolla? Thanks! I'm just starting to research the Caribbean.<BR>-Anne

Monica Jan 10th, 2003 01:02 PM

It's Tortola, and it's in the British Virgin Islands. I think that Grand Cayman...Seven Mile Beach would be more what you are looking for though.

Nancy Jan 10th, 2003 01:16 PM

Anne,<BR>It's difficult to pick one destination with all that you are looking for.<BR>If paramount in your expectations are white sand and beautiful beaches combined with good snorkeling, then Caymans, TCI or Riviera Maya would be good choices. Only Riviera Maya has good opportunities for quaint shopping and hiking (Coba ruins would be a good choice.)<BR>Most destinations in the Caribbean (including the above)are safe.<BR><BR><BR>

Azure beaches Jan 10th, 2003 09:26 PM

St John is a beautiful island with over 30 beaches, quaint shopping, lush, mountainous and great restaurants.<BR><BR>Two hotels - Caneel Resort, upscale and the Westin. There are also an abundance of stunning villas that offer privacy and you get more for your money.<BR><BR>Great place for getting away from it all or a memorable honeymoon.

xxx Jan 11th, 2003 03:32 AM

Azure beaches, we recently began thinking about St. John for our next vacation. Could you suggest hotels, villas, websites so I may begin to do some research on the island and accommodations? Thanks.

Azure beaches Jan 11th, 2003 07:00 AM

We got all our information from the <BR>USVI Online forum. It truly is a gorgeous island and we have been to a few others. The only other island in my opinion, that compares in beauty is Bermuda. Hawaii is also stunning but if you live on the east coast, we found the trip to get there too long and very tiring.<BR><BR>I would opt for a villa on St. John, I'm so glad we researched and decided to go that route. Soooooooooo, much better than a resort and less expensive in the long run.<BR><BR>Good luck.

xxx Jan 11th, 2003 07:03 AM

usvi-on-line.com. For info on St. John. Another vote for a beautiful island with all that you are looking for.

Jane Jan 11th, 2003 03:08 PM

Negril - world famous for white sand and blue water... Nice reef for snorkeling too...