Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Seeking family-friendly Feb week vacation ideas (1 child, older parents) (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/seeking-family-friendly-feb-week-vacation-ideas-1-child-older-parents-1657829/)

vtfamily Sep 8th, 2018 03:42 AM

Seeking family-friendly Feb week vacation ideas (1 child, older parents)

Hi-
I am trying to plan a week-long vacation in late February for husband's 50th and our 5 yr-old's Feb vacation week. We live in VT and are hoping to take only two flights. Must have a pool, really beautiful beach, calm waters, low-key place (no huge resorts), wildlife. Looking at home rentals AND small resorts but trying to find LOCATION first. Considering Captiva/Sanibel area, Bahamas, Caribbean (St John?). No cruises, no Disney, etc! Saving for this vacation but can't break the bank. Safe places only, child-friendly, no nightlife needed. Seeking beauty, relaxation, lovely sand, clear waters, total escape.
Many thanks!

schmerl Sep 8th, 2018 04:17 AM

Have been to the Bahamas in February and it was too cold to swim. I suggest you go further south.

melaniebonilla Sep 10th, 2018 09:49 AM

In Panama you can find a lot of all-inclusive resorts. Resorts like Playa Blanca, Bijao, Royal Decameron, Playa Bonita, etc.... Buy maybe you can also go to an Island in San Blas or Bocas del Toro in Panama too. It is not expensive and you be full relaxed, travel on boats, swim on crystal clear waters and learn different food and traditions. Booking tours to know the surrounding or doing different water activities or adventures are also possible to do in Panama.

Christina Sep 11th, 2018 09:28 AM

I don't think you have a good understanding of climate, you can't go swimming in the ocean in February in the US, unless you like cold water. Even in the very south end of Florida, it's only about 70. In the Gulf, the water temp is below 70 in February around Sanibel. It may be low to mid70s in Bahamas.

So you need to go farther south. Saint John would work for water temp.

doug_stallings Sep 11th, 2018 09:46 AM

Look for a condo in either Grand Cayman or Aruba. Either would be easy to reach in two flights.

mnag Sep 12th, 2018 08:13 AM

Check out Anguilla for stunning multiple beaches (some of the best if not the best in the Caribbean) and excellent restaurants. Laid back but sophisticated vibe. We rented a villa called Oceana a few years ago with another couple and still talk about it....
I also agree with the Grand Cayman suggestion - You can easily rent a condo on 7 mile beach. Word class shopping and restaurants close by as well as botanical gardens, snorekelling and a wonderful turtle farm for the little one. Great mix of activities on Cayman.
I personally would look carefully into the status/recovery after last years major hurricane that affected St John and the BVI before booking anything.