Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Secrets Excellence advise (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/secrets-excellence-advise-139902/)

Beth Jan 4th, 2003 12:29 PM

Secrets Excellence advise

going to Punta Cana, Secrets Excellence, in a couple weeks. What kind of clothing should we take? Is there a dress code at the restaurants. Hubby need a jacket and tie? Women ok in slacks? Anyone know which of the restaurants there are best? Thanks

Parrot Mom Jan 4th, 2003 01:01 PM

Traditionally your husband may need only one pair of long pants and absolutely NO jacket or ties. A sun dress or slacks will usualliy suffice.. Check out resorts comments at www.debbiesdominicantravel.com. Please write when you are going and a mini review to me when you get back.. will be booking my trip next week to Sunscape I hope

gretchen Jan 4th, 2003 01:32 PM

hi beth, we too will be at secrets in a couple weeks. can't wait!! from what i have gathered, the restaurants require long pants for men. i've asked my husband to pack a couple pair of khakis. i think that they don't like people to be in shorts. on debbiesdominicanrepublic(go to search) you can get all kinds of info. we plan on trying all of the restaurants if we can. mosquitoes seem to be a problem sometimes so bring some deep woods off. otherwise, have a great time!

Susan Jan 4th, 2003 05:22 PM

We went to Secrets last year and the only restaurants that required long pants for men were the gourmet and mexican restaurants....also required closed shoes for men, no sandals...my husband had to wear tennis shoes over nice sandals!! Women can wear dresses or pants and sandals. We went during the time that Apple Vacations was taking over the resort so management and restaurants seemed to be in termoil. This is a beautiful resort but we were disappointed in the service and the food....may have been due to timing. Also do not walk on the beach far from the hotel as their is a policeman that hangs out and will advise you not to go further. Another suggestion...take your own pool raft, not near enough to go around!! Any other questions feel free to email me direct, hope you have a great vacation!!

Beth Jan 8th, 2003 01:01 PM

Thanks everyone. That helps. Gretchen, maybe we'll see you in a couple weeks. We'll be the group of slightly crazies, but we're harmless. Susan, If I end up with more questions, I'll write direct. Parrot Mom, will write when we return. Thanks.

gretchen Jan 8th, 2003 03:12 PM

hi beth! did you get on "debbies" sight? it's interesting to read all the posts. i just e-mailed a gentleman from secrets with a room request. just curious what may happen. there was such a hoopla going on for awhile. we'll be the 45-50ish couple with books and drinks in our hands at the pool. we love to talk to crazy people from other places. hope we meet up. gretchen