Secret Harbor Oceanview Rooms vs. Beachfront??

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Secret Harbor Oceanview Rooms vs. Beachfront??

There is a $70 per night difference for Beachfront vs. Oceanview rooms at Secret Harbor in St. Thomas. Is it worth the extra money? We will be there for 5 nights 3/22--3/27, reserved for oceanview but we still might be able to change to the beachfront room before we leave for STT.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 12:57 PM

We stayed beachfront in June 2 years ago and it was wonderful just stolling
out with your morning coffee in hand
and taking a seat.

Believe it or not, people were out there in off season at 6am "reserving"
their favorite beach loungers.
(plenty for all so don't worry)

Three other things:

The restaurant Blue Moon could
be empty but will still question
you if you have a reservation..??

Never understood that but I made one
on the other nights that we ate there.

If you love to snorkel, get the
manager of the dive shop to take you
out to "Cow and Calf" rocks for a morning snorkel trip.
I think it was @ $40 per person and
it was worth every penny!

Always use your in room SAFE for
valuables- including even a cheap
watch (my wife's was stolen ) and
costume jewelry.

We loved Secret Harbour and we plan to
go back some day soon.

Have fun

Mark H.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

topping with this question about Secret Harbor rooms in St. Thomas?
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:35 PM

DEFINITELY change to a beachfront room!!! it is the best to be able to walk out and onto the beach-the oceanviews are up a steep hill

Secret Harbour is the best! you'll love it!
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:08 PM

We were just there 1 month ago and I can't wait to go back. We stayed in a beachfront and am very glad we did. The oceanviews are up a hill and away from the beach. Although they are right by the pool (which was nothing special). I'm sure they do have beautiful views of the harbor, but so do the beachfront and the ability to walk out your door and be on the beach is great. We stopped at the Food Market the morning of our first full day and bought a few groceries and beer and beverages. It saved a lot of money for us. I brought some drygoods like little cereal boxes, pringles, small peanut butter, etc. We bought some bread, frozen pizza and just a few other things. There was a blender to fix my favorite beach drinks too! Bring bug repellant too! No bugs during the day, but as soon as twilight sets in the no-seeums were out. I brought cutters moist wipe bug repellant and they worked great. Most evenings we were the only ones on the beach watching the sunset...bug free.

Carl in the Dive Shop recommended a daysail on the Rumbaba to us. It was $125 per person, but so worth it. They take a max. of 6 passengers. We went to an unhabited island cove and had awesome snorkeling. The captains wife, Karen, fixed morning snacks, then a wonderful lunch (filet mignon) and even cookies for dessert. And all we wanted to drink all day long. Soda, water, juice, and alcohol drinks.

We are planning to go back in 2 years and will stay at SH again.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Definitely spend the extra money for the oceanfront rooms. It is deceiving in the website - the oceanview ARE across a parking lot and up a hill. They are near the pool - but the pool is, although nice, pretty small and less than exciting. The resort and the beach are absolutely wonderful. Gorgeous water - quiet and pretty beach - and the Blue Moon restaurant is one of the very best on the island.
Some people complain about the prices, but the cuisine is well worth every cent - breakfast, lunch, and especially dinner. Very romantic, too.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Beachfront rooms with balconies overlooking the beach are wonderful.
From building#4 on top floor you can look down right over the reef. We have been several times and love it there.