Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Seasoned Caribbean Travelers--Which island has the clearest blue water??

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Holly

I've never been to the Caribbean before and I want to make sure that I pick an island where the ocean water is as blue as the pictures!! Can anyone who has traveled around the Caribbean give me some insight? Thank you for helping me plan.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 10:56 AM
gwen

Turks and Caicos

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Laura

Even before I read Gwen's response, I thought of Turks & Caicos. I have been to many islands, and T&C has the clearest most beautiful blue water I have ever seen.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Tanya

Whatever island you choose you won't be disappointed! I have visited many and can't say one was any bluer (or greener) than the other.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Pat

Both Turks & Caicos and the Caymans have the best water for diving in the Caribbean. Of the two, Caymans is best due to the crystal clear waters (like Evian) and more large sealife than T&C. Most of the sea turtles in the Caribbean got their start at the Turtle Farm on Grand Cayman. The third best spot is Cozumel. The U.S. Navy and Jacques Costeau did most of their dive testing there. Cozumel is noted for its drift diving (like underwater flying).

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Jennifer

I've got to agree with Gwen and Laura, Turks and Caicos all the way! Not only is the water warm and crystal clear, but the beaches have the finest sand, are free of debris, and are relatively unpopulated as well!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 04:04 PM
xxx

Turks and Caicos

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 04:09 AM
John

We have been to many of the islands, and they ALL have clear water. However: the dry islands (windward) have no rivers running into the sea, and, therefore, have the clearest water (underwater visability of 100-150 feet). Look for the islands who's advertising show cactus in their pictures, not lush, green, rain forest.

I would have to rate Bonaire as having the clearest water, Turks / Caicos as number two, Barbados number three, Tobago number four, and Cayman Brac as number five.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Kim

The Bahamas !

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Roger Tucker

The bluest/clearest water I have come across is on either of the west coasts of Aruba or Bonaire. In 2nd place the Turks and Caicos.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:08 PM
gina

Holly,

St. John is also beautiful. We went to Trunk Bay and the water was the clearest I've ever seen. Enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 06:45 AM
Kim

The Bahamas water is beautiful!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 07:08 AM
Randy

I agree with Turks & Caicos but make sure you do not go in jellyfish season. We were there last May and there were millions of thimble size jelly fish in the ocean.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:24 PM
Liz

Turks and Caicos definitely!!!!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:31 PM
Tom

Cayman Islands- no contest

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:40 PM
JimT

I must agree. As an avid SCUBA diver, the Caymans are beyond compare.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 08:18 PM
Michael

Have to agree with several others that Turks & Caicos is number 1. Grace Bay beach is long, beautiful and uncrowded.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Billy

Greetings Folks,
I have spent a goodly portion of my life in scuba gear. Without a doubt, the clearest water I've ever been in can be found in the Yasawa Islands off the coast of Viti Levu, Fiji. But the question at hand concerns the Caribbean. My vote would have to be for the little advertised island of San Salvador. Columbus allegedly made his first land- fall there when seeking a new route to the West Indies. San Sal is one of those places where you hesitate to dive off the dock because it looks too shallow, when in reality the bottom is 15 feet below the surface. Its not an exaggeration to be able to see a quarter in 10 feet of water and tell whether its heads or tales.
I agree with John's comments on "dry islands". The lack of rain does keep the surrounding waters crystal clear. I have to disagree with Gina, however. I was visiting St. John's earlier this month and the tour bus stopped at Truck Bay. It was nice, but you can save yourself a lot of money and visit the town of Destin, on the Gulf Coast of Northwest FL. The beaches there are sugar white, much wider and the water color is equally, if not more, impressive.
I also agree with previous posters that the waters surrounding the Turks and Caicos are great.
Cheers,
Billy

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 05:53 AM
kelly

i'd have to say aruba, by far has the clearest blue water. great snorkeling there.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Ursula

I have to agree with some of the messages above: Turks and Caicos! Although it is a very long trip to get there (from Switzerland) it was worth it. And then, there is Jojo, the dolphin, who joins you when swimming. What a great and unique souvenir for me!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO