Reload this Page >

Sea lice season in Caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 07:47 PM
Itching

I experienced some pretty bad rashes on a few trips to Caribbean islands (St. Maarten, St. Thomas). Now I hear there is a sea lice season where microorganisms which get trapped between your bathing suit and your skin can cause itchy red rashes. Is there a way to prevent the rashes or is there a season where there is no threat of sea lice? I love swimming in the beautiful Caribbean waters and would like to find a way to continue enjoying them. Thanks for your advice.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:48 PM
Laurie

I know all about sea lice, while swimming in the ocean in Cancun, in May, I was bitten alive. Big red bumps all over my body where your bathing suit touches your skin. I found benadryl helps the itch but it was mighty uncomfortable.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Beverly

I believe the microorganisms that make the skin break out in rashes is related to jellyfish. The rashes happen where there are openings in the bathing suit. The first time I broke out, I thought it was just a bad, strange sunburn but it happened again during another Caribbean trip and I tried to be careful about not getting sunburned. Not a good way to end a vacation.