Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Beaches Resort in Turks and Caicos. Ok to go without kids?

Old Dec 29th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to take a vacation this winter and thought it might be nice to go to an all-inclusive resort. Turks and Caicos sounded good and the Beaches Resort (a Sandals resort) sound nice. But most of the reviews talk about what a great family resort it is. We would be just the two of us. We're in our early 60's and won't have any kids with us. They're working. Will we feel out of place? Other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 06:28 PM

While you won't technically feel out of place, it's extremely kid friendly. I have gone plenty, and I wouldn't want to go without my 10th old. There are so many gorgeous resorts in Turks, that I prefer them when not with kids. Nothing wrong with Beaches, actually really nice resort, but really caters to families.

Are you stuck on AI? Turks is not really an AI type destination. Veranda is AI but really quiet and low key, with only 2 restaurants with limited hours, not your typical AI. It's like a ritz but happens to include meals and drinks. Do not expect AI in Turks to be what you think AIs are, in Mexico and DR for example.

Veranda would be a better fit, but just so you know, there are some excellent restaurants you'd be missing!

;-)
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 07:10 PM
KVR

Unless you like your vacation atmosphere to include an overflux of families and kids, I would choose a different hotel. There are so many other options, just not AI.

We love AI vacations, but when we went to T & C we didn't do AI there. However, the Veranda hotel wasn't built yet either.

When deciding to do an AI or not outside of Mexico or Jamaica, one of the deciding factors for us is to do the math. If the AI plan costs more than $800 for a weeks vacation then it's not worth it since that what we normally spend on food/drinks when not doing AI. Another deciding factor is location. If the hotel is too far away from dining options and transporation is not convenient, than we rather do AI.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 05:12 AM

I agree with the advice above. My husband and I stayed at a wonderful non AI ( West Bay Club, thanks to Blamona's suggestion) last month. We walked past Beaches almost every day and it was packed with families. Unless you're traveling with your kids, I wouldn't recommend it. We often ate breakfast and lunch in our condo because it had a fantastic kitchen, but we wouldn't have wanted to miss some of the really good restaurants on the island.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 03:29 AM

Many other great options for a stay and if you stay in a more central location - you can easily walk to many nice dining options.
Look at these condo properties that are full service resorts for some options.
Regent Palms
The Somerset
Point Grace
Seven Stars
Grace Bay Club
Beaches properties are nice for families but would not to me be a good option for you.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 04:49 AM

Agree with all the comments above. Also, the beach at Beaches T&C is one of the most crowded areas on Grace Bay. Awesome if you have a 5 yoa looking for a vacation friend, probably less so if you don't have/aren't bringing kids.

T&C is extremely easy to navigate for dining. Plenty to walk to in Grace Bay if you get a place in middle of the bay (Salt Mills is a good mid-point). People are friendly and I've never had any problems with crime.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 01:07 PM

I took my son to T&C when he was little and we stayed at Beaches. I hated that place! Overly expensive to stay there and it is on the smallest stretch of beach on Grace Bay.

I now stay at the West Bay Club in a one bedroom luxury suite! I love it there!