Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Caribean for February 2014 - Looking for ideas

Old Sep 16th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to get some ideas for a honeymoon vacation leaving the end of February and into the first week of March. I realize it's high season which pay pose some challenges. Ideally would like to keep the total budget including flights, accommodations and food/drinks at 5-6K for 1 week. Not sure if that is doable. While I love St. Johns and some of the BVI's, I would prefer something different since fiancé and I have both been there before. Both of us are looking to unwind after the wedding and enjoy some beautiful scenery.

Important things we are looking for:

- Great room and preferably close to ocean
- beautiful pool area
- more couples and less children
- options for restaurants/some nightlife at night - does not have to be a "scene" - just a lively atmosphere with good food and cocktails
- Some activities such as sailing or hiking; overall exploring - not mandatory but the option would be nice

Been reading wonderful things about Turks and St. Lucia on here, but not sure my budget is doable for those islands without sacrificing quality.

Thanks for all replies!!
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 03:57 AM

Turks and Caicos, no bad place to stay in every budget, all resorts and hotels are great. It has some of the most gorgeous beaches in the world, but no real scenery. Its flat sry and scrubby looking, enterior of island downright not very good looking. Because the beach is so scrumptious, the scenery is "forgotten".

Not much nightlife there either, some live music at dinner over by 10, mellow, and just a couple of bars on the mellow side on weekends. (and night pass to Club Med).

You can day trip to Middle Caicos that has some amazing hiking and scenery, but the main island Provo, is all about the beach. (and the beach is beyond scrumptious)

Many properties in different price categories are all surprisingly luxurious.

St Lucia is the complete opposite, all about lush and scenery, beaches are just okay. You probably need transportation for nightlife. Beaches have darker almost navy colored water, not very turquoise like in Virgin Islands.

So you picked 2 completely opposite type islands, a to compare to St John they are also different.

Do you mind something different? Between the 2 I compared above, which sounds more enticing? Then we can tell you more
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 08:52 AM

We spent our Honeymoon on Turks & Caicos..look at The Somerset Resort www.thesomerset.com GREAT resort, close to other restaurants, world class spa next door...love it!
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 03:44 AM
WWK

I love Turks, too, but since it's already been recommended, I'll give some other suggestions:

ROCKHOUSE in Negril, Jamaica: Free-standing cottages on a high cliff over the ocean, each with a ladder down to the sea. Lovely
restaurant on site, about a 15 minute walk to Negril's beautiful seven-mile white sand beach. Lots of small clubs/other restaurants within walking distance of ROCKHOUSE.

On the beach in Negril: IDLE AWHILE, very small and intimate boutique resort directly on the beach. Really nice rooms, very few kids. And on the best part of Negril's beach. Close to clubs, restaurants, etc.

And, if you would consider AI in Cancun ( never thought I'd like Cancun, but this place blew me away!): LIVE AQUA. Take a look at the AQUA SUITES. These are two-room units with a hot tub in one bathroom, small living room, and giant terrace facing the beach. LIVE AQUA is absolutely gorgeous. It's got six or seven pools, an uncrowded beachfront, a spa, and a well-equipped gym.

The resort is couples only, so no kids. Staff is extraordinary, and if you get tired of dining on site, there are some wonderful restaurants a short cab ride away. Cancun is about a 15-min drive from the resort.The front desk will arrange all kinds of excursions/activities.

Only downside? Not sure that your budget will fit for Feb/March. But take a look!

Good luck and congrats!
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Think we have narrowed down to turks and caicos. Now just trying to find something nice but reasonably within our budget.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 06:15 AM

I agree you can't go wrong with Turks and Caicos for destressing. We were there once 2 Jan. Great place to relax after holidays. I am not a huge fan of st. lucia. It is a lush island, but the beaches were nothing special to me. Turks and Caicos has the most gorgeous water color any place. Tht would be a great choice. Not sure where you are flying from but it seems this could fit your budget.