Santo Domingo connections

Mar 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Santo Domingo connections

Has anybody done a connection in Santo Domingo?
We have a chance to come back from St Martin via Santo Domingo.
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Hi, John. While I've never connected at SDQ, I have flown in/out of that airport many times.

What are your specific questions/concerns ? Let us know.....maybe someone will have the answers, even if we haven't done a connection.
Mar 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

If going from St Martin to US via Santo Domingo, how hard is the connection? Do you go thru customs there or in US?
Mar 14th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Hi again, John T----I don't think you would go through customs in SDQ since that is not your destination country. You would clear customs in the first US gateway where you land; this would include SJU in Puerto Rico, if that is part of your itinerary.

Passport control is a different story, and you might indeed be subject to that. Maybe Doug will see your note and can tell you for sure ? It's embarrassing to me that I never have paid attention to where these various checkpoints are located....I'm always so happy to have landed in the 'tropics' that I usually just float through with a big goofy smile on my face.

As far as the connection being "hard," if you mean stressful, a lot depends on the connection time, and whether your flight to SDQ is on schedule. If you review the flight details you're considering, you'll see what the actual connection time is supposed to be. Some travelers, like me, would not even consider a connecting time of less than an hour, regardless of what's legal and technically possible. Though it's true that many of us would prefer missing a flight headed home, to missing one en route to paradise !

You can also go to the airline website (I'm assuming it's AA?) and check for other data that could help in deciding whether the schedule you're considering is a good one: recent ontime/cancel history for your specific flights;which gates you'd be using in/outbound. If both gates are on same concourse, that's a plus. SDQ has only 2 concourses, so it's not a huge deal, either way.

Finally, I would recommend calling the airline--even though you're not yet ticketed-- for clarification on your specific questions about customs and passport control.

Have a great trip !
Mar 14th, 2008, 10:24 AM

I just saw this post. Unfortunately, I've never flown to or from Santo Domingo, so I can't speak with any personal experience.

In most Caribbean destinations (Barbados, for example, where I've connected several times), you do not go through either Customs or Immigration if you are in transit. You bypass all those queues and go directly to your flight check-in or next gate. If you are flying on the same airline, then you wouldn't even have to check in again. However this procedure really does vary from country to country all over the world, so I'd feel more comfortable if you had some first-hand knowledge.

The Santo Domingo airport used to be a mess, and I hear that it's better now. It was once dingy and dark and famous for long lines. It's been renovated in the past few years, but I can't speak of the lines, particularly those for in-transit passengers. And I'm not sure if you would have to buy the landing card for the DR if you were just in-transit.
Mar 14th, 2008, 12:46 PM

My wife and I spent 2 months living in Santo Domingo this past summer. The interior of the airport went through a lot of upgrades/changes in just 1 year from the summer of 2006 and the summer of 2007. Although it was a final destination for us, I still think it would make for an easy connection point. The airport is very easy to navigate as it is fairly small. Based on how things are set up in the airport, I don't think you'd have to go through any customs areas. It would be surprising if you did.

Search this Thread