Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Santo Domingo Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/santo-domingo-airport-876711/)

ustwo Feb 5th, 2011 09:30 PM

Santo Domingo Airport

Figured out we will be flying into Santo Domingo airport. Need information about transportation available to Las Terrenas. Anyone have suggestions for shuttles, taxi, etc. Cost of transportation? Don't think we will need a car once in Las Terrenas, so prefer not to rent auto.

surfside02554 Feb 9th, 2011 05:51 PM

Caribe Tours bus line
You can take a cab from the airport to Caribe tours bus terminal
Right at the beginning on the new Samana Highway. it is maybe four miles from the SDQ airport

doug_stallings Feb 10th, 2011 04:59 AM

I'm not sure I agree with you. I think you'll need a car in Las Terrenas unless you're staying at an AI resort. You will want to do some exploring since that's what Samana is all about.

But I understand the desire not to have to drive. Though the new highway makes a huge difference on the way.

ustwo Feb 10th, 2011 09:42 AM

Thank You surfside & Doug for your replies. We haven't pinned down our rental unit yet,looking at rental units on VRBO and HomeAway. Units we have condsidered state: "no car needed". Just want a place that we can sit, relax, enjoy walks on beach, into town for groceies, & farmer markets, this time. We want a vacation, not a tour, etc this time.

I have posted a couple of times on Caribbean forum & once on US forum trying to get a little more informatio about transportation, etc. No responds. From what I have read on Fodor's and another site I ck'd, I am totally confussed on how to get from SD airport & LT. Some say take the gaugau's, they are fine, no problems, you get there just as fast. Others say Caribe Tours are way to expensive, take taxi. Hoping someone has some very sound information. Do I understand correctly that we will have to take a taxi from airport to get to Caribe Tours, or the gaugau? Anything that can pick us up at airport & go directly to LT?

Maybe I should ask, is LT a good area for 65+ couple to sit, relax, walk beaches, etc. Don't want to be in area with tons of collage students on spring break.

Sure will appreciate any other information you can give us on these questions.

suze Feb 10th, 2011 11:32 AM

Since the owners of the various units as saying "no car required"... maybe could you ask them about how to best get around? Seems like they should know the answer.

I'm not familiar with Las Terrenas, although I have been to the DR a couple times and flew in thru Santo Domingo once, but we were on our way up to Puerto Plata/Sosua area.

doug_stallings Feb 10th, 2011 11:40 AM

Would you consider flying? You might or might not have to change airports to get a decent fare, but there are some small charter companies that can pick you up at Las Americas and fly you directly to El Portillo, near Las Terrenas.

My guess is a taxi would be overly expensive ... in the hundreds of dollars.

I've never done this trip myself, so I'm afraid I can't help anymore. I do think you should get a good, solid guidebook.

ustwo Feb 10th, 2011 11:51 AM

Thanks all for your advice.