Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Sandy Lane Honeymoon in September. (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/sandy-lane-honeymoon-in-september-316482/)

EB7 May 13th, 2003 08:44 AM

Sandy Lane Honeymoon in September.

Despite the cost, decided to spend the money and went with the Sandy Lane option for my honeymoon. However, although most activities are included at the resort (i.e. beach sports), is it worth renting a car for say two or three days? Or should I rent it the whole time to have access to the island as well as avoid taxi to and from the airport. I am looking to maximize the resort experience as well as enjoy the island and other retsaurants with some night life (not big dance clubs though). I tend to overanalyze and overplan but obviously want this trip to be perfect so i am seeking advice on how to construct the perfect six days here. Thanks for all help.

ejcrowe May 13th, 2003 09:48 AM

I would imagine that if you want to get your money's worth out of your resort stay, you'll want to rent a car for a few days in Barbados, but not keep a car with you the whole time. I think a couple of days of sightseeing would be plenty if you're not looking for a wild nightlife. Then you can use your car to venture off site for some meals on those days. I've never stayed at Sandy Lane, but I imagine that their facilities are pretty fabulous and will keep you occupied most days.

I recommend that you take your new spouse to The Cliffs for a very romantic dinner while you're there. Although the food actually did not impress me very much, the service was impeccable and the view was pure romance. Very nice atmosphere. It was the most expensive meal I'd ever eaten, but I'd go back in an instant.

EB7 May 14th, 2003 02:37 PM

Thanks for the help. I was also wondering if we should take a taxi to the hotel and use public transport/taxis for our dinners away and few night activities. Lastly, I opted for Sandy Lane based on reviews and it seemed once in a lifetime. However, my last choice was between here and Coral Reef Club (which for the same price would have included dinner nightly). I am just a little nervous that I made the wrong decision. Please let me know if I did, or I shoudl relax and be happy. Thanks.

TedTurner May 14th, 2003 03:57 PM

I don't know your taste in hotels EB7, but the Coral Reef Club and Sandy Lane are not in the same class. You're comparing one of the 3-5 best luxury resorts in the Caribbean (SL) with a resort which is among the best on Barbados, but not among the 30 or so best resorts in the Caribbean.
The attention to detail and luxury features at SL are world class. Name another Caribbean resort with plasma screen TV's, for example. They spared no expense in redoing Sandy Lane (rebuilding it from scratch, basically). Any review of SL before 2001 is worthless because the place was totally transformed.
Now you may be one who doesn't need or appreciate high end hotel accommodations. Not everyone does. But if you do, and you can afford SL, your faith will be rewarded.

lbw May 19th, 2003 08:18 AM

Pretty impressive having Ted Turner respond to your forum question! ; ) We looked at Sandy Lane for our 10-year anniversary trip. I don't think that you can go wrong with the property you selected. We are going to the Four Seasons, Nevis, because we could not get FF tickets into Barbados. We will definitely visit SL in the future so please post a trip report when you return. Have a wonderful honeymoon.

JJC Jun 25th, 2003 07:14 AM

My husband and I stayed at Sandy Lane last September. We had a wonderful time. The service was impeccable. We did not rent a car. Sandy Lane provided airport transportation in a Bentley and made arrangements for taxis throughout our stay. It was a great trip.