Sands- Turks and Caicos

Oct 1st, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Sands- Turks and Caicos

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon and considering Sands Hotel in Turks and Caicos. We don't need to be overly entertained, but considering that the only things to do are beach related, what is a good amount of time to spend here? If we were to continue our honeymoon somewhere close by, what is a recommended place? We'd like a 2 week honeymoon.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 04:23 AM

We spent two weeks in Provo earlier this summer there is so much to see and do. Many great excursions to different islands and cays. Many great quiet out of the way beaches so you can feel like you have the island to yourself. Rent a high clearance vehicle and get out and explore. The water is unbelievable. No need for the hassle of going elsewhere. I was still trying out a way to stay longer because there was more I wanted to see and do.Congrtulations on your upcoming wedding.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Where is Provo? Is it on the Turks and Caicos Islands?
So you don't think two weeks, or 10 days, is too long?
Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:40 AM

Yes, Provo is short for Providenciales, which is the main island in the Turks & Caicos chain.

Lots of folks on this board love T&C, so you can do an easy search here to read their trip reports. After reading a few, you'll know best whether this island would be too quiet for you to spend 2 weeks or not. If you're looking for any kind of active or eco-adventure, you may well find that you'd prefer to combine a stay in T&C with an island with a more varied topography more suitable for hiking, mountain biking, or whatever it is that you're looking for.

If you're content with a stunning beach, good snorkeling, a nice variety of restaurants, and an ease of getting around, combined with one or more daysails, you may like to spend your full two weeks there.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:58 AM

In my opinion a week is enough for Provo. Most of the activities are water related. Grace bay is wonderful and I love the beach but if I had two weeks and I wanted to go to the caribbean I'd want to split my time between a couple different islands. Not sure if you can get quick connections from Provo to other Caribbean islands w/o travelling through Miami/WPB.
Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:41 PM

We were at The Sands for a week in June. I would have loved to stay longer... that's how much we enjoyed it.

The Sands was a great hotel and we really loved the restaurant Hemmingway's. WE'll definitely be returning next May. Here is a link to our photos in case you're interested.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...93605855ijPrlg
Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:56 PM

I spend 2 months a year in T&C, and it's never enough! 8-)
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:26 AM

I spent 6 days at The Sands for my honeymoon 2 years ago and loved it. We went horseback riding on the beach, did fishing trips, went on a tour where we explored caves and saw Iguana Island. We really loved just hanging out at Hemingway's too. Very laid back atmosphere, and the people are so friendly. If you have 2 weeks, just make sure to plan lots of activities.
Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:46 AM

If you stay at The Sands though, inquire more about the ocean view rooms if you choose to book that kind of room. We booked an ocean view, but we really couldn't see the ocean from our patio unless we like tried to tiptoe and look over the shrubbery. This didn't bother me too much because I was only a minute walk away from the beach, who can complain about that? But it did cost a little more money for that room, but maybe other ocean view rooms have a better view.
Oct 7th, 2006, 02:22 PM

We loved the Sands when we went there last October. Click on my screen name and you'll find our trip report. Vegas M - I loved your pics. They took me right back on vacation!.
Oct 7th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Another Sands fan here. We spent a great week there in June. Seeing Provo is our favorite vacation spot and the Sands is our new, favorite resort there, I could happily stay there for 10 days and not be bored.
Oct 9th, 2006, 07:49 AM

To those of you who replied that Sands is a great place. Is it just for honeymooners? There's about 15 women taking a trip to T&C. Anyone recommend staying at Sands for this trip?
Oct 9th, 2006, 08:08 AM

I don't think its only for honeymooners. Families and friends seemed to be there when I went, as well.
Oct 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Definitely NOT just for honeymooners... everyone is welcome over there!
Oct 9th, 2006, 12:08 PM

The Sands is great for everyone. During our stay there were couples, families, three weddings and receptions.
Oct 24th, 2006, 06:01 PM

My wife and I spent 8 nights on Provo (at RWI) in Nov. 2005. We're going back for 12 nights starting 11/1/06 and staying at RWI. We really loved the island, but for some it could be a bit slow. We are really into the beach and the water, including snorkel and scuba, so we love the place. If you're not into the water as much, all those day sail excursions, pony rides on the beach, fishing, etc. sound great just be prepared to spend plenty for any activity besides sitting on the beach. Shopping, other than for the basics, doesn't really exist on Provo. And as for the food? Well, we did enjoy some good meals and don't mind paying up for quality, but the prices are quite high and the service/food is typical Carib quality, so we prepared our own meal at the condo most lunches and about half the dinners. Eating out on Provo for us is mainly about going for the casual places (Tiki Hut, etc.) with modest expectations, and not shelling out huge sums for the high end places that may disappoint (some did).

Search this Thread