Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Sandals/StLucia or Antigua (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/sandals-stlucia-or-antigua-272387/)

liz Nov 11th, 2002 10:08 AM

Sandals/StLucia or Antigua

Which island has better beaches and prettier water...Antigua or St. Lucia. Also, which Sandals is better? St Lucia,Halycon or Sandals,Antigua?

Tiffany Nov 11th, 2002 10:21 AM

Liz - Antigua has the better beach and prettier water. St. Lucia is known for it's tropical climate and rainforests and not for it's beaches. If you are looking for a good beach, Antigua is the way to go.<BR><BR>I just returned from my weddingmoon at Sandals Antigua a month ago. I can't comment much on the resort in St. Lucia because I haven't been but I can tell you that the resort in Antigua was great! It has a really laid back and romantic feel to it, although there is plenty to do if you are looking for a little action. The beach is breathtaking with powder-like sand and really calm auquamarine waters - great for swimming and watersports! The resort has amazing landscaping, there is nightly entertainment usually consisting of a steel drum band and maybe a few games and then the piano bar and disco are open after that. I can't say enough great things about this place, we had an amazing vacation! Very relaxing and carefree.<BR><BR>As far as St. Lucia, a friend of mine was married at Sandals Halcyon (the smaller of the resorts) last December. She had a great time and liked the resort. She said that she would defenitely perfer to stay at Halcyon and just shuttle over to the larger resort. The larger resort is so big that you have to wait for a shuttle to pick you up to take you from one end of the resort to the other. It's more crowded and more going on. So it's all in what you are looking for. <BR><BR>I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have. There is also pics on tropictravelonline.com. Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose!

Mary Nov 11th, 2002 11:03 AM

Ditto what Tiffany said. And for what it's worth, I've heard a couple of Sandals regulars say that the Sandals in Antigua was their favorite. Again, just what I've heard.

islander Nov 11th, 2002 11:06 AM

Many people I have spoken to that have been to many Sandals say that Antigua is their favorite. I have only been to Antigua and we loved it. Great beach, beautiful landscaping, comfortable room, decent food, good drinks, plenty of watersports...I could go on and on. None of the other Sandals locations are even of any interest to me except for Negril. They just don't seem as though they can compare to Antigua - it's a good spot. Enjoy!

Marti Nov 11th, 2002 12:22 PM

Remember, there are three Sandals resorts in St. Lucia now,<BR>-Halycon, <BR>-Sandals Golf Resort and Spa<BR>-Sandals Grande St. Lucia. <BR><BR>The first two are the ones Tiffany mentioned, and the third just opened last month. I'm going to that one next week and promise to report back! <BR><BR>Also agree on the beaches. I think St. Lucia has more scenery to offer (rainforest, volcano) if you like variety, and like to venture out more, the beaches are OK. (I'm a pool person myself)

Penney Nov 12th, 2002 02:57 PM

All depends onwhat youare looking for in that they all vary. Agree that if you want things to do off the resort and the island scenery, then St. Lucia is far better - much prettier, greener and more to see and do. For white beaches that are long, then Antigua - great beach. Sandals St. Lucia has a yucky beach and Halcyon is very nice and calm but with that dark sand. <BR><BR>For activity, Sandals St. Lucia; for romance and a casual, relaxing atmosphere, then either Halcyon or Antigua with Antigua being in between the two. Halcyon can get very quiet.<BR><BR>

John Nov 12th, 2002 03:31 PM

Sandals Antigua,absolutely. St. Lucia is not the best island anyway as it's very hilly. In addition,the beach at Sandals St. Lucia doesn't exist and it rains a lot.

xyz Nov 13th, 2002 05:35 AM

St. Lucia isn't one of the best islands because it's hilly? What do hills have to do with it? In fact, I'd say it's the hills that help form the beautiful scenery.

John Nov 13th, 2002 07:51 AM

It's simple. My vacation is a time to relax and enjoy. We stayed in a room category that was up the hill. Yes, we could have waited and could have taken the shuttle, however, that wasn't always feasible and the driver made a lot of comments looking for tips - a no-no at Sandals. So, yes, nature is beautiful, but I don't want to walk a mile - hilly - to get to each meal, each time I want to swim, or each time I go back to change. That is in addition to Antigua having more to offer in the way of soft, white sand your toes will sink into, which is what Liz is looking for.

David Nov 13th, 2002 08:44 AM

John,<BR>From the looks of that huge resort it seems that maybe Sandals should have golf carts available to go back and forth with. I can see your poiint with all the hiking when you really wanted some R&amp;R. Hope you enjoyed it anyway.

xyz Nov 13th, 2002 10:27 AM

John: Thanks the for clarification. I can now see your point.

johnno Nov 13th, 2002 12:03 PM

The beach at Sandals St. Lucia doesn't exist?!? I just checked some pictures that my wife took of me two months ago at Sandals St. Lucia and, unless I'm seeing things, that is a beach I'm standing on. <BR>Ditto what most other people have said -- St. Lucia is a prettier island; Antigua has nicer beaches. However, that is not to say that Antigua isn't pretty or that St. Lucia doesn't have nice beaches.

Martin Nov 13th, 2002 01:01 PM

Tiffany - Can you comment on some reports by other travellers who've said that the staff weren't very attentive/friendly, the rooms were in need of painting, there were lots of bugs?<BR><BR>I'm not saying these are facts - I want someone's opinion whos been recently before I book.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Martin

Tiffany Nov 13th, 2002 01:19 PM

Martin - as far as the rooms go, ours was fine. All the decorating seemed to be new and no painting needed. They were kept very clean. <BR><BR>We didn't have a problem with bugs. We saw maybe 5 ants at the most in the bathroom, but it was not a problem. Now, when we first arrived we noticed how loud the bugs were outside, but what do you expect...you're on an island?? And you are so tired from a long day in the sun that you fall right asleep and never hear them again. <BR><BR>The staff was actually the only thing that we had a problem with while we were there, although it was minor. We stayed in a concierge level room and I called one morning to have bottled water sent to our room. They told me that the staff with the drink cart would be around to my room, so basically I had to wait until they got around to me. It made me mad but I got over it...when on to the beach. A few hours later I ran up to the room assuming the bottled water would be there, it wasn't. I called again and once again they told me they would be around. Then I noticed that our air conditioner was off. I found the remote to turn it on and it was broken. I called the desk and they said they would send someone. I waited 30 minutes, no water and no maintenance staff. My husband then came to the room to see what was taking so long, I told him and he called the desk and said &quot;I came here to get married and to be served.&quot; In 2 minutes there was 3 maintenance staff members fixing the air conditioner and carrying 4 bottled waters. They were also calling our room a few times a day to check on us. <BR><BR>The staff is not overly friendly at all. It may be the no tipping policy. At restaraunts / bars, we had no problem with service, they just weren't overly friendly. The watersports staff was great though. <BR><BR>If you have any more questions or would like to see pictures, please feel free to e-mail me.

Tiffany Nov 13th, 2002 01:53 PM

Martin - I would recommend this resort. We had the best vacation we have ever had. The beach is amazing and so is the landscaping at the resort. It has the most laid back, romantic and relaxing feeling to it. It's a good pick. <BR><BR>And just to point out, I'm not one of those &quot;Sandals lovers.&quot; Actually, the only other Sandals resort I am interested in is the one in Negril.

Martin Nov 14th, 2002 01:26 AM

Tiffany - thanks for filling me in on the details.<BR><BR>I think we'll give it a try!<BR><BR>Regards<BR>Martin

Tiffany Nov 14th, 2002 07:30 AM

You are most welcome. I'll be happy to answer any other questions. <BR><BR>You will enjoy this resort, I promise it won't disappoint!!