Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Sandals Royal Caribbean vs. Couples Ochos Rios, Which is Better (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/sandals-royal-caribbean-vs-couples-ochos-rios-which-is-better-352435/)

dffisher Aug 27th, 2003 11:28 AM

Sandals Royal Caribbean vs. Couples Ochos Rios, Which is Better

My wife and I are planning a trip to an All Inclusive in Jamaica in December. I have narrowed my choices to Sandals Royal Caribbean and Couples Ochos Rios. The things I like about Royal Caribbean is that they have more restaurants and I heard the food is great. What I like about Couples Ochos Rios is that they have complimentary horseback riding and an au naturel beach. Any thoughts about which one anyone would recommend. Please respond asap because I want to book right away! Thanks

honeymooner14 Aug 27th, 2003 02:18 PM

I have been looking into the Sandals as well, and I think that Royal Caribbean also has a nude beach on their little offshore island.

dffisher Aug 27th, 2003 06:00 PM

The travel agent I was dealing with said they do not have a nude beach. I thought they did too. Does anyone know for sure? Where were you considering?

honeymooner14 Aug 27th, 2003 06:09 PM

Go back and look through the threads -- I am almost positive I posed this questions recently and someone said that yes, they do have a nude beach. Frommers.com says they do, too. I guess you can take a boat to their small offshore island, which has a pool, a restaurant, and a nude beach on the other side during the day. My fiance and I are getting married next Aug. in Grand Cayman, and we are thinking about Jamaica for the honeymoon. I have researched a ton of stuff, but the 2 Sandals I looked at were Royal Caribbean and Dunn's River, although the area of Negril looks great, too.

dffisher Aug 28th, 2003 05:52 AM

I have been looking for a couple of hours in Frommers and I can't find anything that says clothing optional beach at Royal Caribbean. I am also wondering if the airport poses any problem since the resort is only 2 miles from the airport. People, Honeymooner14 and I need some good advice!

AOliver Aug 28th, 2003 06:56 AM

Sandals Royal Carribean is nice. There is a nude bathing area on the island but it's not really a beach where the nude bathing is. There's a sandy area with a retaining wall but you can access the water. Sandals Ochos Rios down the street has a much nicer beach and most rooms are ocean view. I would rather stay there. You can still use the facilities at the Royal Carribean. If you choose Sandals make your reservations for the Indonesian resturant on the island as soon as you get there. It's hard to get into. I've never been to Couples but have heard many positive things about it.

honeymooner14 Aug 28th, 2003 06:59 AM

This is the blurb frommers.com has on Royal Caribbean:

"This all-inclusive, couples-only resort, with a more tranquil atmosphere than Sandals Montego Bay, lies on its own private beach (which, frankly, isn't as good as the one at Sandals Montego Bay). Some of the British air remains--there's formal tea in the afternoon--but there are modern touches as well, including a private, clothing-optional island reached by boat.

The spacious rooms come in a wide range of categories, from standard to superior to deluxe. Most desirable are the grand luxe beachfront rooms, with private patios or balconies. Each unit has a small but well-equipped private bathroom with a tub/shower combo. The cuisine is more varied here than at other Mo Bay Sandals: Bali Hai, an Indonesian restaurant, serves on an offshore island, while the Regency Suite serves a rather good Jamaican-inspired cuisine.

Facilities:
4 restaurants; 5 bars; 4 pools; 3 tennis courts; fitness center; 5 Jacuzzis; watersports; massage; laundry service"

At the bottom of the 1st paragraph is where it mentions the clothing optional island.

lrmcstitch Aug 29th, 2003 09:54 AM

We were married at Sandals RC in March. Yes there is a clothing optional beach on the far side of their private island.There is also a pool with a swimup bar and a Thai restarant on the island. We made same day reservations to eat there and had no problems.
The place is spotless and the staff is wonderful. The food was excellent.
It can be laid back and quiet or a great party, whichever you want. I would reccomend one of the beachfront conciege rooms where we stayed. It's away from the main areas so you have more privacy but only a 5 minute walk to all the activities.
If I can help with any other questions feel free to e-mail. [email protected] .