Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Sandals Question: St Lucia Grande or Golf and Spa

Aug 29th, 2002, 10:25 AM
calla

Hi there,
In need of help deciding between the Sandals St Lucia Grande or the Golf Resort and Spa,

If you know the differences or which rooms are preferable- it would be much appreciated.

We are looking for a fun and romantic trip over the Christmas/New Years Holiday.

Should we be concerned about the weather and the chance for rain storms? Please help!

Thanks.

Aug 29th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Mary

No. You're outside the rainy season. That doesn't mean, of course, that it won't rain on occasion.

Aug 29th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Penney

try:

www.tropictravelonline.com

More info and pic's

Aug 29th, 2002, 01:16 PM
T

A close friend of mine was married at Sandals St. Lucia December of last year and said it was beautiful. She said that it would rain for a few minutes each day, but it was never a problem. Go, relax and have a great time! I'm headed to Sandals Antigua for my weddingmoon in October!

Aug 29th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Marti

I would select Grande St. Lucia simply because it's being totally renovated now, whereas the Golf resort has been around a few years. I'm going to Grande St. Lucia
11/20/02, unless they postpone opening again!!! Either way, you can use all 3.

Aug 30th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Beth

I doubt you are going to get much info on th eGrande because they are not open yet! They were first supposed to open in March then July, then August, and now September 30. Who knows if they will push back again. In otherwards, no one has been there yet and will be able to comment though it sounds liek it will be great! Anotehr thing to think of, I personally wouldn't stay ther at Christmas for fear that when the Grande does open, it will have alot of problems to iron out. This happened with another Sandals/Beaches property when it opened in 2001. The Ciboney/Grande Sport property kept having their opening date pushed back as well and when they finally did open, they were still understaffed )poor service) and had ceratain restaurants and amenities still under construction. Everyone who went there when it first opened complained and it took about 6 months after it opened to get it up and running full steam and now I hear its great. I would be afraid the same thing would happen with the St. Lucia grande. My vote woudl be to make reservations at the Sandals Golf resort (my best friend jsut had her honeymoon there and LOVED it). You can take advantage of the stay at one play at three option and visit the Grande while there if it is open.

Aug 30th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Marti

Good thoughts, Bethany, I thought I was safe booking in late November, when the opening was in August, figured the kinks would be worked out. I wonder if Sandals will switch me at no charge?? I'm really getting nervous, since the dates are in stone now, I have inlaws who bought airline tix to watch kids.

Aug 31st, 2002, 04:06 AM
Marti

I checked out www.tropictravelonline.com
and those pictures are the same ones that are on the sandals web site, they're picutres of the old Hyatt. CT&L's August issue has an ad, with a drawing of the new Grande St. Lucia, and that's all I've seen. Has anyone else seen NEW pix? Any Sandals staffers out there? I know it's not done yet, but throw us a bone...

Sep 1st, 2002, 02:03 AM
recent honeymooner

I think it is worth taking a chance staying at the Grande if it was the building that used to be the Hyatt in St. Lucia. The hotel itself is just absolutely beautiful - very large pool, comfortable chairs, plunge pools off some of the rooms,,...it's not like the hotel wasn't built before and I have to say that although I didn't stay there I walked through the grounds of the hotel earlier in the year and it was just stunning. If I was you I'd keep my reservations as they are!