Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Sandals, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios, how to decide?

Old Oct 19th, 1999, 06:02 PM
Angela

My fiance and I are trying to plan a honeymoon in Jamaica, we are not sure which of the Sandals resorts would be best for us. How are the rooms at each resort and how long does it take to get to Ocho Rios from the airport?

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 12:00 PM
Andrea

I believe the Sandals in Montego Bay is close to the airport.

The journey from the Airport to Ocho Rios is approx. 11/2 hrs. Which Sandals are you referring to in Ocho Rios? There's Sandals Inn and Sandals Dunns River.

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 02:42 PM
Cheryl

f.y.i. sandals inn is in montego bay

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 01:08 PM
Bill

Angela,

We have stayed at Sandals MoBay and Sandals Royal Jamaican. We have not ventured to Negril or Ochos Rios only because of the 1.5 to 2 hour bus rides of which if you look in these posting can sometimes be a nightmare. I would suggest the Roayl Jamaican as it is only 5 minutes from Mobay and the airport. You can use both the Royal and Mobay facilities and both have great dinning facilities. The only problem with Mobay is it is situated at the end of the Mobay airport and about 40 flight per day fly over the resort. This did not bother us as we fly alot and everybody at the resort makes fun of it. If you would like additional info contact me.

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 01:10 PM
Andrea

Angela,
Go to www.jamaicans.com and proceed to their "Tourist Bulleting Board. Ther's a lengthy post by someone who just came back from Sandal, Ocho Rios. Her account is detailed and precise.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 03:05 PM
Brooke

Angela,

I have been to Sandals MoBay, Royal Jamaican, Sandals Ocho Rios, and Sandals Dunns River. The very best one is Dunns River, the rooms and service were really nice. The huge pool and pool bar were great too. It is a 90 minute transfer from the airport but it is complimentary and I usually get carsick so I just took my ginger based motion sickness medicine and I was fine.

Sandals Ocho Rios was a little more lush and jungle like. Very pretty - but not as modern as Dunns River. They did have a few nice restauants - but you can still enjoy them even if you stay at Dunns River. Montego Bay was very noisy but was still nice. I did find Royal Jamaican a little more stuffy - and an older crowd. I guess I am assuming you are younger because your on your honeymoon. But if you are 40 - 50 you may enjoy Royal Jamaican more. Don't get me wrong, people of all ages are at Sandals and we met a lot of nice people of ALL ages.