Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Sandals Montego Bay ???? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/sandals-montego-bay-557518/)

Michelle333 Sep 10th, 2005 08:54 AM

Sandals Montego Bay ????

I'm hoping for some feedback by anyone that has stayed at the Sandals in Montego Bay. My boyfriend and I are looking to go in February and have stayed in Sandals before. We enjoy the all-inclusive the adults only atmosphere and are fine with the basic accommations and just wanted to be sure that this was a decent Sandals resort to stay at ????

Thanks so much !!!!

brenandg Sep 10th, 2005 04:27 PM

Are you dead set on Montego Bay? Negril Beach is beautiful and there is a Sandal's there as well.

Kimberly Sep 11th, 2005 05:49 AM

Sandals MB is the oldest of all the Sandals resorts. We have been there a couple of times and like the fact that you are at the resort in about 10 min from the airport. The resort itself is nice and large the beach is very good. The panio bar is super fun. The food is very good and the staff is super. We have been to almost all the Sandals resorts a few times and they all have there good points. Sandals Negril is by far one of our favorites. Email me direct if you have any specific ?.

Knowing Sep 11th, 2005 11:13 AM

MoBay is the flagship of the Sandals. Maybe because of this, they have the best food of them all. They also have the best nightlife, the best smelling air at night, a huge beach, beautiful flowers and the most idyllic staff of them all.

Lisa1271 Sep 12th, 2005 05:04 AM

I would suggest any Sandals except MoBay (we have been to 7 of them). Overpriced, very large, better beach at Negril, better scenery at Ocho Rios, and the planes overhead at MoBay...first day it's cute, after that it gets to be a real annoyance. And for the price, there are alot of better choices. Also you might want to look into Sans Souci, the Grand Lidos or Couples.
Lisa S

tivertonhouse Sep 13th, 2005 01:38 AM

In the ongoing m&a world of Jamaican hotel biz, Sans Souci has been bought by Couples and is going thru a 3 month shakedown/re-evaluation now;Grand Lido is also said to be on the block.

liza Sep 13th, 2005 01:32 PM

I heard Grand Lido was already bought by Riu.

sunylatitude Sep 13th, 2005 02:21 PM

We have stayed at Sandals Mobay once but like to do day trips from Sandals Royal Carbibean which is also located in Mobay. Mobay does have very good food (Cucina Romana and Tokyo Joe's)and because you can go over to Sandals Royal they also have several very good restaurants to choose from. You can also check out www.tropictravelonline.com which is a site for mainly Sandals / Beaches return guests and you will get alot of good information there, and they have many recent photos posted there also. E-mail me and I can send you some photos we took in July.
Bill

Michelle333 Oct 2nd, 2005 06:09 PM

Hi, Thanks for all the feedback. The reason why we chose the Montego Bay Sandals is because it's so close to the airport which we always enjoy for our shorter vacations. I thought Negril was a 90 minute trip. Is that correct ???

Lisa1271 Oct 14th, 2005 04:23 AM

If you want to be near the airport and have to have a Sandals then I would suggest the Royal and then just do day trips to MoBay.
LisaS

deny Oct 14th, 2005 06:28 AM

We have been to both the SMB and SRC. Your decision should be based on what you like to do. I've been told that the Mobay has the most return guests. I prefer the Mobay and been there twice. Mobay is 5 min from airport. You can hear planes leaving the resort, about 3-5 times daily. It did not bother us and with all the alcohol who cared! The beach is the longest. The resort is smaller so more intimate yet we always found the little quiet places to chill. Plenty of activities, good age mix crowd here. Royal carribbean, has a man made beach, not as good as SMB. It does have their private island (small) but fun. This resort seemed to be a bit stuffy, they have tea at 4pm. The SMB was much more casual, men could wear dress shorts to dinner but not at the Royal. Haven't been to Negril but it is 90 min drive from the airport.