Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Sandals La Toc versus Sandals Grand St. Lucia or No sandals?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/sandals-la-toc-versus-sandals-grand-st-lucia-or-no-sandals-944360/)

NCgalMRF Jul 26th, 2012 05:08 AM

Sandals La Toc versus Sandals Grand St. Lucia or No sandals??

We were originally interested in Sandals in St. Lucia La Toc, but we have read some negative reviews. I have also read that it has the lowest ranking of all the sandals resorts. We have spread out our search to others island non AL and still cannot seem to find what we are looking for.

I'm starting to think we should just pick Sandals for our honeymoon to make it easy, but I'm worried about all Ive heard and know that I have to get the most expensive room to even get room service.

Advice anyone?

KVR Jul 26th, 2012 05:39 AM

No Sandals in St. Lucia! We have stayed at the Sandals Grande and it was the 2nd worst AI we've ever been to and we've been to 14 of them.

Look at Rendezvous, Jade Mountain, The Jalousie Plantation or the adults side of the Coconut Bay Beach.

For non AI, look at Ladera, Anse Chastanet or the Body Holiday.

There are much better choices on St. Lucia than any of the Sandals resorts.

Also, do a search here for 'honeymoon'. There are several threads like this in which there are several great replies. It might help find what you are looking for.

juliae_mei Jul 26th, 2012 01:21 PM

Hi!

If you want an all-inclusive and are flexible with your destination, then look to 3 places in particular: Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Riviera Maya. In Jamaica, you have several all-inclusive options, in addition to Sandals, you have the Couples Resorts, which are always popular and get great reviews...tend to be more quiet and romantic than Sandals, but the same all-inclusive concept. Also, Secrets Resorts are wonderful, too. On the Riviera Maya, Secrets are great, Dreams are great, along with Azul Resorts for families and El Dorado for adults-only.

Have a great day!
Julia

Knowing Jul 27th, 2012 12:28 PM

I have been following your threads and I'm going to throw something totally different out to you. What do you think of chartering a private boat? We met three couples in the Grenadines last year who had done this and said it was so unique. You have crew members and there are all kinds of places that you can go. They handle the food and do the cleaning and you just enjoy!

NCgalMRF Jul 29th, 2012 10:44 AM

I haven't even thought about chartering a boat. What would the price range be for something like that? My fiance isn't really a boat person which is why we ruled out a cruise, but that does sound unique.

Thanks everyone! We are still looking and open for any help!

Knowing Jul 31st, 2012 09:19 AM

If I remember correctly, they said it was about $2500 for a couple to go for a week. Crusing is the other side of traveling, and although I like the water, I understand what your fiancee is saying. Lots of people on the mainstream ships. This is your honeymoon. Maybe you don't want to share it with lots of other people at a large hotel with lots of full beach chairs? Why NOT do something that will be memorable forever?

BellaClaire Jul 31st, 2012 12:23 PM

You say you haven't found what you are looking for....what are you looking for?

If Sandals St. Lucia is still an option...hands down, I would pick the grande. I understand there is some construction going on (building over the water bungalows or something like that)....so construction could be a total bummer...I didn't like La Toc...it's huge, built on a face of a mountain....I didn't care for the beach or pools....

Anways, describe what you are looking for and perhaps we can help!

If you are open to a small ship experience...check out Island Windjammers or Windjammer Sailing Adventures.