SANDALS HALCYON IN ST.LUCIA? What's it like?

Feb 24th, 1998, 06:24 AM
L.E.

SANDALS HALCYON IN ST.LUCIA? What's it like?

Planning our honeymoon & have pretty much decided
to book at Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia? Has
anyone been here? I've heard alot of good things
about this resort, do you agree? What is the island
itself like - we are going in Sept.1998? I've read
that the water is not "typical" carribean-like
water - anybody know what that means. Please let us
know, we are going to be booking very soon.
Thanks in advance, L.E.

Feb 24th, 1998, 06:34 PM
Katherine

If you have not booked yet, consider Sandals St Lucia (the main resort). We were there on our Honeymoon a year ago and it was amazing. We took the shuttle over to Halcyon for a couple of dinners and the two resorts did not even compare! Halcyon is more laid back, according to the books, but I thought the main resort was as laid back as you wanted it to be (no pressure to do activities AT ALL) and it had the advantage of having a much larger pool, many more (super) restaurants, and tons of water activities. We went mostly because we heard the waters in St Lucia were so amazing. Well, no doubt about it. We could see about 50 feet down. And the ocean life was like nowhere else I have ever snorkled or dove. There is every imaginable water activity at the main resort (whereas it is more limited at Halcyon). The island is otherwise very lush. The St Lucians are overall friendly but it is a VERY poor island with most people living in shacks. Most of the St Lucia activities are centered around the ocean, not the island. What I recommend: splurge a little and get a "lower class" room in the main resort (we got the second category and had a super view of the entire bay) rather than booking Halcyon. Feel free to email with ?s.

Feb 24th, 1998, 06:35 PM
Katherine

If you have not booked yet, consider Sandals St Lucia (the main resort). We were there on our Honeymoon a year ago and it was amazing. We took the shuttle over to Halcyon for a couple of dinners and the two resorts did not even compare! Halcyon is more laid back, according to the books, but I thought the main resort was as laid back as you wanted it to be (no pressure to do activities AT ALL) and it had the advantage of having a much larger pool, many more (super) restaurants, and tons of water activities. We went mostly because we heard the waters in St Lucia were so amazing. Well, no doubt about it. We could see about 50 feet down. And the ocean life was like nowhere else I have ever snorkled or dove. There is every imaginable water activity at the main resort (whereas it is more limited at Halcyon). The island is otherwise very lush. The St Lucians are overall friendly but it is a VERY poor island with most people living in shacks. Most of the St Lucia activities are centered around the ocean, not the island. What I recommend: splurge a little and get a "lower class" room in the main resort (we got the second category and had a super view of the entire bay) rather than booking Halcyon. Feel free to email with ?s. Oh, and avoid the puddle jumper flights to the island. Take a 737 at least (from San Juan). ALmost every single person who took a smaller plane got sick!

Feb 24th, 1998, 07:00 PM
Jim

Katherine,

We're going to Sandals St. Lucia for our honeymoon in Sept 98. Have a few ?'s

Is instruction included for diving?

Do we need to "sign up" for all activities at the beginning of the week? Or are they pretty open whenever we want?

We like to play tennis, were the courts nice? Were they crowded? Do we need to bring raquets/balls?

I heard we should make dinner reservations right when we get there, is that true?

Any advice on what to bring?

THANKS!!!

Feb 25th, 1998, 05:37 PM
J Markowski

We went to Sandals Halcyon for our honeymoon in Sept. 96 after being persuaded by our travel agent. We loved it!!! I would definitely reccomend making dinner reservations for your entire stay on your first day there. We found La Toc to be the best, and booked 2 nights of our week there, however our second was canceled on us - I guess because so many people wanted to go to La Toc that they were limiting each couple to once during the week?!? They brought a bottle of champagne to our room as an apology. We also really enjoyed The Pier, which has a great atmosphere. The beach overall was just ok - St. Lucia does not have many wide, natural white sand beaches that you see on Caribbean postcards, although the island is beautifully lush and tropical. There are a lot of sand flies and mosquitoes down by the beach - bring insect repellant if you plan on hanging out there!!! I highly recommend the Land/Sea Tour that they offer - you get to see amazing scenery (including the stunning Pitons up close) and have a lot of fun on the catamaran ride back to the hotel. We were glad we stayed at Halcyon and visited Sandals St. Lucia every now and then - the bus back and forth is really easy and runs every 15 min., I think. Any other ?s, please e mail me. I love to talk about vacations!

Mar 2nd, 1998, 05:25 AM
L.E.

thanks so much for all the information you have given us - St. Lucia sounds like exactly what we want. Anyone who has tips on good day trips or must see's. Let us know. Thanks again, Leslie.

Mar 2nd, 1998, 07:10 AM
julie

A day trip to the Pitons will probably be offered. It is a fun thing to do and the scenery is beautiful.

Mar 6th, 1998, 12:59 PM
leslie

I hear the drive from airport to the resort is a nightmare. Is there anyway to avoid this drive or a way to make it better? I know of the helecopter ride, but the cost is very high - $150/per person each way. No thanks! Is there a boat ride instead, I'm sure it would be just as quick.
Also, to those who have been to Sandals Halcyon -What room catagory would you recommend? We were planning on just deluxe, but want a nice room, it is our honeymoon! Any advise!!!?